LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

satipod
|
Hello, I took this test today and had a few questions on what should be some of the easiest in the section. I guess sometimes the first 10 don't work out ideally.

So the question is on #2, about the economist referring to the role played by "to the enxtent that homelessness arises from a lack of available housing". To be honest, I'm just unclear on this question and the wording. Could anyone break it down for me a little bit?

Thanks very much!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your question. First, it brings up the valuable point that you can’t always count on the first ten questions to be easy!

The one you asked about starts with a limitation, roughly analagous to the following:

Smith: I can’t believe I forgot about the meeting! It’s your fault because you didn’t remind me.

Jones (skeptically): I'm not entirely sure that your attendance was my responsibility. Regardless, to the extent that your absence was my fault, I’m sorry.

In the dialogue above, Jones' apology is rather limited: He doesn’t accept that the absence was his fault, but says that if he as at all to blame (that is, for whatever minor role he might have played), he is sorry. The apology is thus limited to the extent of actual blameworthiness.

Similarly, in question #2, the economist’s argument begins by limiting the argument:

Economist: (I’m not sure how much the homelessness problem can be attributed to the lack of housing, but…) to whatever extent homelessness does arise from the lack of housing, it shouldn’t be assumed to be driven by motivation for profit.

Tricky wording! Let me know whether this makes sense—thanks!

~Steve
 satipod
|
Thank you so much for that analogy, that totally cleared it up. Much appreciated!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.