LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

purplekat_89
|
For this one, I was thinking that B was wrong because of the word "some." Couldn't the author counter by saying "well, some languages do, but Indo-European doesn't lack words for elements of the enviornment." For most weaken questions I come across, any answer choice with the word "some" I usually avoid and its usually a wrong answer. Is this right because the author said it is only "likely" (line 2)?

Also, is it a bad thing to think of the author's rebuttal while solving weaken questions? I have heard that just because an author may have a reply it doesn't necessarily mean that the answer doesn't weaken the argument. Any thoughts?

Thank you.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Purplekat,

Can you confirm that test and question number info? Thanks!

~Steve
 purplekat_89
|
Sorry, I meant PT 29 S1 #16.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Purplekat,

With "some" it can be helpful to spell out what it means: "at least one."

So, if it is true, as answer choice B provides, that there is at least one known language (possibly more) that lacks words for important elements in the environment, then that would call into question the author's assertion that those people didn't know of the sea, based on their not having a word for it.

As for your second question, keep in mind that it is often possible to weaken an argument without completely destroying it--that means that even the right answer to a weaken question might be open to some type of legitimate rebuttal or explanation, so you shouldn't rule choices out based on that criterion.

I hope that's helpful! let me know if it's clear--thanks!

~Steve
 SherryZ
|
Hi there, thank you in advance for helping me!!

Oct 1999 LSAT, Sec 1, LR Q16:

I was distracted by A, B and D. I chose D eventually but the correct one is B. Could you explain A, B and D separately?

Also, I suck at solving Weaken questions. Could you tell me how to approach this type of question? Thank you very much!

---Sherry
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the question. The key to solving any LR question always lies in the stimulus. So, let's start there first, and then take a look at the answers you mention.

In the stimulus, the author concludes that "the people who spoke Proto Indo European, the language from which all Indo European languages descended, lived in a cold climate, isolated from ocean or sea." Why does the author draw this conclusion? Because they didn't have a word for sea, but did have words for winter, snow, and wolf. This is a causal argument then, and the author is saying that the cause of this particular word usage is the location where the people who spoke Proto Indo European lived.

Ok, with a clear understanding of what the is occurring in the stimulus, our chances for avoiding wrong answers and finding the right answer increase :-D Let's look at each of the answers you mention:

• Answer choice (A): This answer looks attractive at first. But, it's difficult to say this undermines the author's broad claim about the location of these peoples. Maybe they traded with another culture, and fish was an item they received. In any event, it seems tough to accept that this single, small example refutes the conclusion.

Answer choice (B): As you note, this is the correct answer choice. If this answer is true, the lack of the word "sea" is not notable at all, and this answer suggests that the lack of that word is not an immediate reason to suspect they lived where the author claims they lived.

Answer choice (D): This answer is very similar to (A), and any time you see two answer that are this similar, they are typically both wrong. "Heat" as a concept could come from the fires they made, for example, and there's nothing suggesting "heat" here has to be tied to general climate indicators (which, if that was the case, would make this answer more attractive).
As far as Weaken questions in general, let me give you two pieces of advice that may help:

• 1. Isolate the conclusion, and attempt to weaken the connection for it.

The most important thing in any Weaken question is for you to identify the exact nature of the conclusion. Otherwise, you will be attracted to answers that seem to weaken the conclusion, but don't weaken the exact conclusion in the argument. And, considering that the typical LSAT answer choice won't directly contradict the premises or conclusion, look to then break the leap that the author makes in going from the premises to the conclusion.

2. Personalize the argument.

When approaching LSAT questions, often the tendency is to attempt to be as clinical and as coldly rational as one can be. While I'm all for rationality and a cold-hearted execution of each question, one of the ways to succeed on Weaken questions is to imagine that you are personally involved in the argument. For example, imagine that you are the one announcing the argument to a crowd of reporters, and that each answer choice is a challenging comment from a reporter. How would you respond? Would you be forced to surrender and grant the point (that's the correct answer, then), or would you have a retort that would put that reporter in his or her place (meaning that answer is wrong)? Seeing the argument and answer choices from a connected perspective often makes wrong answer much more obvious, and correct answer easier to identify.
There is more to be said than the above two points, of course, but what I've often found is that when someone has general difficulty with Weaken questions, they get a big, immediate boost by consistently thinking about and applying the two points above.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 tpmeade24
|
Hello,

PT29; Section 1; Q: 16

Can somebody help me understand why E is not the correct answer choice?

I wound up getting this question wrong, but I do understand why B would weaken the argument.
However, I just can't wrap my head around why E wouldn't weaken the argument (possibly to a greater extent than B.)

Please help?

Thanks!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
tpmeade,

The reason (E) doesn't weaken the argument is that "nomadic" does not mean that the people traveled widely and among different climates, it just means that their settlements were mobile. The people could be nomadic and still live in a cold area without oceans or seas.
 lsatstudying11
|
Hello! I think I get why B is the correct answer, but I was wondering why that is something we must assume if the stimulus already begins by stating that language can inform us about a culture's living experience? Is it the case that this first sentence of the stimulus is too vague/broad to necessarily indicate that this means a lack of a given term for some living condition in a language might represent the lack of that living condition for a culture? Thank you in advance! :)
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatstudying,

This is a weakener question, which means we can introduce additional information that the speaker in the stimulus may have failed to consider. So (B) doesn't represent something that we must assume - it is simply an additional fact that, if true, would cause us to doubt the speaker's conclusion.

The first sentence tells us that "We can learn about the living conditions of a vanished culture by examining its language." From this premise, the speaker then concludes that the people that spoke Proto-Indo-European must have not lived near the sea, because the language lacked a word for "sea." The central weakness here is an assumption on the speaker's part that language represents the totality of the environment in which it is spoken. But, if we can introduce a new piece of information that suggests that this isn't always the case, then the argument looks a lot less convincing.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.