LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

sid3396
|
Hi all,

I'm a bit confused on how the answer is not D. I chose it with the following thought-process:
1. The position being challenged is the assumption that "only the most highly evolved species alter their environment in ways that aid their own survival."
2. The plankton example serves as the counterexample as mentioned in the answer choice.
3. The position being incorrect is implied in the stimulus with the sentence with the counter, "this characteristic is actually quite common."

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sid - the answer for number 12 is indeed answer choice (D)! Maybe you were accidentally looked at the answer for number 11 instead? Your explanation for why (D) is correct looks good to me.

Nice going on that one!
 sdb606
|
I'm having trouble eliminating C.

• A certain process refers to non-highly evolved species altering their environment.
  • Certain cases refers to plankton.
  • Conditions under which a certain process can occur refers to the level of evolved-ness needed for a species to alter its environment.
  • The generalization is that not only high-evolved species can alter their environment.
Therefore, answer choice (D) says: The generalization that not only evolved species can alter their environment is advanced on the basis of an examination of a case that did occur where plankton altered their environment.

Seems like it all fits to me. Maybe the problem is level of evolved-ness is not a condition. For it to be a condition, you'd have to show that a dialogue like below is compatible with the stimulus:

P: "We have a species and we want to see if it can alter its environment."

Q: "Is it either highly evolved or non-highly evolved?"

P: "Yes."

Q: "Then it meets at least one of the requirements for being able to alter its environment."

The stimulus isn't about determining conditions that species need to be able to alter their environment but rather finding out whether or not a general principle is correct.
 sdb606
|
I want to modify what I wrote above. The stimulus is not saying only highly evolved and non-highly evolved species can alter their environments. It's saying that altering environments is not exclusive to highly evolved species. "...this characteristic is quite common."

It is well know: alter environment :arrow: highly evolved
Author says: alter environment :arrow: any evolvedness

So highly evolved is a necessary condition for altering its environment. Is the way to approach this to just accept that the LSAC definition for condition for a process is something quantitative like temperature or level of income and not as abstract as level of evolvedness?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.