LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Johnclem
|
Hi powerscore,
Could I get some help with this one ? I am very tempted by answer choice A and didn't like answer choice D . :(
Here's why:

A) what's wrong with A ? If these simple carbs are able to alter one's energy by creating new enegery then why shouldn't those who want to maintain their energy avoid these foods?

B) want to avoid fat ---> limit intake of these carbs ( Now my issue with is that it's making an all statement from evidence of "some". We know only that some people gain this fat because they overproduce insulin... by contrapositive of this stamen the anyone that doesn't limit these carbs couldn't avoid getting fat ) .

1) some people claim that carbs are a resonable caloric replacement for those on low fat diets.
2) new studies show : for some people these carbs stimulate insulin which either creates energy OR stores as fat.

C: its in doubt now, that carb are reasonable replacements for those on low fat diets.

Thanks
John
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Johnclem wrote:Hi powerscore,
Could I get some help with this one ? I am very tempted by answer choice A and didn't like answer choice D . :(
Here's why:

A) what's wrong with A ? If these simple carbs are able to alter one's energy by creating new enegery then why shouldn't those who want to maintain their energy avoid these foods?

B) want to avoid fat ---> limit intake of these carbs ( Now my issue with is that it's making an all statement from evidence of "some". We know only that some people gain this fat because they overproduce insulin... by contrapositive of this stamen the anyone that doesn't limit these carbs couldn't avoid getting fat ) .

1) some people claim that carbs are a resonable caloric replacement for those on low fat diets.
2) new studies show : for some people these carbs stimulate insulin which either creates energy OR stores as fat.

C: its in doubt now, that carb are reasonable replacements for those on low fat diets.

Thanks
John

Hello Johnclem,

As for answer A, there's not enough in the stimulus to support the idea that "People on low fat diets should avoid consumption of simple carbohydrates if they wish to maintain ... energy". The rationale you give above about "altering" etc. may not support A very strongly, if you go back and look at it.
As for answer D, it may not be a strictly "must be true no matter what" answer, since, as you observe, only some ("many") folks have an increase of insulin after the carb increase. But the stem says, "most strongly supported", so, since answer D is the best answer, it is correct. (Fat and avoiding gaining weight are some main emphases of the stimulus, so answer D hits those targets.)

Hope this helps,
David
 snowy
|
I did choose D as my answer, but A was my other contender. Can I confirm that my reasoning for ruling out A was correct, since I think it varies slightly from what was stated above?

The specification of "people on low-fat diets" was a red flag for me with A - I'm not too sure exactly why it stood out though. The reason I ultimately ruled A out was that I thought that "maintaining the energy that their bodies require" didn't necessarily conflict with producing more energy than is required, as the stimulus states would occur. So, in a sense, I understood "maintain" to mean not to fall below (but to allow for going above) - is that correct? Or does maintain here mean to stay at the exact level required, not below OR above?

Thank you!!
 Zach Foreman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Snowy,
I didn't have an issue with "people on a low fat diet", in fact, I liked it because it limited the scope to the same subject as the stimulus. My prephrase was "People on low fat diets should limit their intake of simple carbohydrates in order to avoid gaining fat."
A sounds pretty good but there are two important differences: "avoid consumption" is far more extreme than "limit intake". Also, "maintain energy" doesn't make sense. Simple carb intake creates energy, so why would you avoid carbs to maintain energy?

Now look at D. It is exactly the same as the prephrase (except it took out the "on low fat diets"). But it would be perfectly true if it had low fat diets in it.

I think maintain is a bit ambiguous but certainly must include not going below. I think it could mean going above a bit.
 Leela
|
Would this be an assumption question?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Leela wrote:Would this be an assumption question?
Hi Leela!

This is a Must Be True question of the Most Strongly Supported variety. You can see how they set up the information when you break down the question stem:

• Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the nutritionist’s statements?

So, they want you to identify an answer that is supported by the stimulus, which is the First Family model.

Note how they try to confuse you with the use of "strongly supported" which can be used in Strengthen questions as well, so you have to read the stem carefully each time!
 whitefox20
|
Could someone please go over answer choice C?

I chose this because I thought that people who consume low fat diets should avoid consuming a lot of simple carbs, because that would increase insulin, which would lead to stored fat. So basically, if someone is trying to reduce fat, they should also avoid simple carbs. But then, I suppose we cannot conclude that just because someone is having higher amounts of fat from simple carbs, they should avoid foods high in fat as well? I think this sort of reverses the relationship?

Thank you.
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey WhiteFox20,

The stimulus is providing a link that if you eat simple carbs, it seems that you will likely store some of those simple carbs as fat, which is why D is a perfect answer.

Now as far as C goes, C is very similar to D, but D adds the very important qualifier of "those who wish to avoid gaining body fat". C does not have that same qualifier. So the issue with C is you are assuming that gaining fat is not desirable or is something that people should avoid. That is not something we should assume. This may seem silly, but as someone born in Japan, Sumo wrestlers came to mind as a group who is not necessarily trying to avoid gaining body fat. Certain other athletes or groups of people trying to gain weight may fall into this category as well.

I hope this helps. To sum this up, the qualifier of "those who wish to avoid gaining body fat" is the essential difference between D and C, which makes D right and C wrong.

Good luck with your studies!

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.