LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

I got this question right. However, I just want to make sure I understand why the right answer is right. I was temped by E also. But chose D. It seems like they are making a conclusion on the amount based on the percentage. Is this correct? As there is no explanation, I am not quite sure that my thought process was correct. So, I just need to make sure. I understood the stimulus correctly and got the answer correctly.

Thanks

Ellen
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Ellen,

You got it--with regard to E, the author provides no basis for this comparison or conclusion. D, on the other hand,is immediately appealing because it is not a bold claim--fat gain is not just about calories--and this is confirmed by the stimulus--the groups had different caloric intake but the same fat gains.

I hope that's helpful--let me know whether it's clear--thanks!

~Steve
 ellenb
|
Awesome, I am glad I got it correctly, but I just wanted to make sure I understood the stimulus correctly in details (kind of picky, but it helps to be this way for this Exam ;)

I understood that the groups had:
100% their normal calories of food and 25% alchool calories total of 125%
the other group had 75% food calories and 25% alchool total of 100%,
is my break down correct?

for E could you elaborate a little further to make sure I understand exactly why it is wrong.

Thanks a lot!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Ellen,

Regarding the percentages, you got it!

As for answer choice E, this choice provides that the percentage of alcohol calories in the diet is more significant than the number of alcohol calories consumed. The problem is that the author provided no information about the number of calories involved, so there is no basis for this comparison in this one particular study.

I hope that's helpful--let me know whether that's clear--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.