LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your response.

In your scenario, which is a bit different from the LSAT question we were discussing, everything is fine until the end: In your story, the critics have not had something explained to them, so their response should not be "ok, now I get it."

Instead, the critics legitimately took issue with a comparison that didn't really prove the neighbor's point. Then the neighbor presented new, much better evidence in support of the conclusion. So their response should be something more like "Ok, now that is evidence that strengthens your conclusion."

As for your second question, the conclusion certainly deals with an assertion about people's preferences, but D is not a better strengthener than C is that D weakens the conclusion.

I hope that's helpful! Let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 voodoochild
|
STeve,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant that Critics mean - this strengthens the conclusion.

I think that I was alluding to "double negatives" used in this question - "it's not because people don't especially like it"

Can I infer that the verb phrase "don't especially like" implies "dislike"? or It could be one of these three scenarios -dislike, don't care, like.

I feel that the spectrum has four words - dislike, don't care, like, especially like.

It's a minor detail, but I just wanted to know your thoughts.

I know that the LSAT loves to play with such double negations.

Another example - The claim that cats don't chase dogs is isn't true. I believe that it means - the cats chase dogs!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey voodoochild,

This is such a unique scenario that there's limited value in analyzing it too deeply, but with that said, let's take one more look at the statement:

Henry was successful, not because people particularly liked it, but because of its time slot.

You have to look at the statement as a whole. The author is basically saying this:

Henry's success was based on scheduling, not on any particular audience preference.

Once the audience was watching TV on the popular Tuesday night, apparently, Henry was good enough for them to leave it on; that is subtly distinguishable from the kind of particular preference that would cause people to keep track of when the show was broadcast, and change the channel to find it.

I hope that's helpful! Let me know whether that clears this one up--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.