LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (D)

Here we have two speakers. The Opponent of offshore oil drilling argues that the projected benefits of drilling new oil wells are not worth the risk of environmental disaster since they would only add one half of 1 percent of the country's daily oil requirement. The Proponent thinks the Opponent's argument is ridiculous because if you applied the same logic to farming, no new farms would be allowed because no new farm could provide more than a few minutes worth of daily food needs for the country. The Proponent, therefore, uses a parallel case (that of farming) to illustrate the ridiculousness of the Opponent's reasoning. Thus, we are looking for an answer choice that describes how the Proponent shows the flaw in the Opponent's argument by applying the Opponent's reasoning to a similar scenario.

Answer choice (A): The Proponent does not offer any evidence in support of drilling. He only illustrates the flaw in the Opponent's argument by applying the same logic to a similar case.

Answer choice (B): The Proponent does not attack the statistics cited by the Opponent. Instead he uses a comparison to show that those statistics do not in fact prove the Opponent's argument.

Answer choice (C): The Proponent points out the ridiculousness of the Opponent's argument. He does not concede that the Opponent's argument is just a misapplication of a frequently legitimate way of arguing. He does not suggest that the Opponent's reasoning would ever be legitimate. In fact, The Proponent's comparison suggests that the Opponent's argument would be ridiculous in any scenario.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. This answer choice matches our prephrase. The Proponent uses a parallel argument to illustrate the ridiculousness of the argument drawn by the Opponent. The Proponent suggests that since it would be absurd to draw the same conclusion about new farms from the same type of premise, the Opponent's own conclusion is also strikingly unsupported by his premise.

Answer choice (E): The Proponent does not state that the Opponent's evidence more strongly supports a different conclusion. He only says that the Opponent's evidence does not support the conclusion he is trying to make, but again he does not suggest that it supports an alternative conclusion.
 ncolicci11
|
Hi Powerscore,

I was confused between answers C and D. I thought D was the right answer but ending up picking C (not sure why). Could you take the time to help me understand the language used in these answers? I think the way they were phrased threw me off even though I understood what I was looking for in terms of an answer.

C) pointing out that the drilling opponent’s argument is a misapplication of a frequently legitimate way of arguing

D) citing as parallel to the argument made by the drilling opponent an argument in which the conclusion is strikingly unsupported

Thank you!
 intent228
|
"Opponent of offshore oil drilling: The projected benefits of drilling new oil wells in certain areas in the outer continental shelf are not worth the risk of environmental disaster. The oil already being extracted from these areas currently provides only 4 percent of our country’s daily oil requirement, and the new wells would only add one-half of 1 percent.

Proponent of offshore oil drilling: Don’t be ridiculous! You might just as well argue that new farms should not be allowed, since no new farm could supply the total food needs of our country for more than a few minutes.

The drilling proponent’s reply to the drilling opponent proceeds by:
(A) Offering evidence in support of drilling that is more decisive than is the evidence offered by the drilling opponent
(B) Claiming that the statistics cited as evidence by the drilling opponent are factually inaccurate
(C) Pointing out that the drilling opponent’s argument is a misapplication of a frequently legitimate way of arguing
(D) Citing as parallel to the argument made by the drilling opponent an argument in which the conclusion is strikingly unsupported
(E) Proposing a conclusion that is more strongly supported by the drilling opponent’s evidence than is the conclusion offered by the drilling opponent"

I'm no expert but we're always lauding the teaching principle to help us improve so I'm going to give it a go.

Opponent: premises - 1) oil being extracted only 4% of daily requirement 2) additional drilling would only add 0.5%
Opponent: conclusion - the projected benefits not worth environmental risks

Proponent: takes opponents argument and attempts to show that it is invalid through a parallel application "just because something is not equal to the whole means it shouldn't be added"

A - Loser: easily enough, there is no evidence provided by the proponent, just a parallel.
B - Loser: again, very clear that there is no dispute over the numbers
C - Contender: ok, we can keep this one, the proponent is saying that the argument is spurious
D - Contender: another keeper, the proponent is pointing to a similar idea with a new subject
E - Loser: the proponent offers no evidence, only critiques the initial argument

C or D

C - I see no mention of "a legitimate way of arguing", actually, the proponent is only saying that the opponent's argument is ridiculous

D - the proponent takes the initial argument and applies it to another scenario, showing that the conclusion is weak. Clearly, adding more farms adds to the aggregate whole for food supply, which helps the country. The same that drilling would do, environmental risks be damned.

Our answer is D.

I hope this helped at least a little bit. Hopefully someone smarter than me comes along and breaks it down further to make it more clear. Good luck my friend!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ncolicci11!

I've provided a complete explanation to this question above that should be helpful. Let us know if you still have questions about it!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.