LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

OneSeventy2019
|
Hello,

I got this question correct but would like to validate the process by which I eliminated the other options, which I identified:

(A) - Stimulus mentions a rare salamander species, not all salamander species so the stimulus does not preclude the truthfulness of this option.
(B) - (CORRECT RESPONSE) - This contradicts the first sentence of the stimulus.
(C) - "Significant" is vague; one might reasonably guess that there are only a "few" female-only species but "significant" could be, for example, only 10-12.
(D) - Last sentence of prompt says that all female species are less adaptive than species with both male and female members (this is relative); the fact that some male and female species are "not very adaptive" does not contradict the stimulus.
(E) - This is also irrelevant; stimulus talks about certain types of species (all female vs. male and female) having genetic codes more aligned to a single parent but says nothing about particular offspring within a species.

Appreciate you feedback. Thanks!
 hbaezh
|
Wouldnt answer D contradict the stimulus since it goes against what the stimulus says that having a male and female makes a species more adaptive than one that only contains genetic material from an all-female reproduction?
Thus, making D the ODD odd one out?

I found this stimulus quite confusing, not so much in the topic but the wording
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi hbaezh,

Answer choice D doesn't contradict the stimulus because the stimulus talks in relative/comparative terms, "making the species less adaptive than species containing both male and female members," whereas answer choice D talks in absolute terms, "not very adaptive." Answer choice D could be true (certain species with both male and female members might not be very adaptive), while it could still also be true that all-female species would be even less adaptive (even less than "not very adaptive").

Think about a simple example of the same idea: "I am not very fast. Nevertheless, my brother (who is extremely slow) is still slower than me." Those two statements could be consistent, in just the same way that answer choice D could be consistent with the stimulus.

I hope this helps!
 jrschultz14
|
Hi! I got this correct, but did spend a few extra seconds on it because in my mind, B isn't definitively a must be false. The stimulus speaks only of "reproduction" and not of existence, which AC B refers to.

Could there not be a scenario, where all of the females in a species died, thus leaving only male members, who do not produce eggs? The species would effectively be "extinct-in-waiting," but would still exist for the duration of the remaining males' lives.

Any thoughts would be super helpful! I want to be nit-picky on LSAT questions, because it usually lets me eliminate incorrect ACs, so am I just going to far here? AC B is clearly the best of worse options, but in general, most LSAT questions seem more tightly-written than this -- especially when the question is a definitive MBF.
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JR,

For this question's answer choices, consider the species in general at any point in time, not at a specific time period of "extinct-in-waiting." We know from the stimulus that all species of higher animals require egg production. (B) says there's a species with no egg production, so that cannot be true.

Hope that makes sense!
Eveline

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.