LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 rdee81
|
I get stuck after I make a diagram and there are no hints from the LSAT Gods. If there is a hint like L is always 5 or something I can atempt to make sense of it. I am struggling so bad. Im improving a slight bit on diagramming since I got the Powerscore logic games bible, and the drills help. Yet, Im stuck on sequencing. I do well on the games with countries and arranging them, but just the letters Im sinking.
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello Sinking,

Right now, my heart is sinking after reading this post. You know, one thing we obviously offer is private tutoring (and it won't break my heart if I don't get to tutor with you!). If you are struggling with the games, even after reading through the bibles, then I think a prayer to PowerScore for relief might just the patch that prevents you seeing Leo's lips turn blue!

In seriousness though, sequencing games are probably the most diagrammable of all the games, because essentially you are just relying upon the wordings of the rules themselves and connecting rules with common variables together. So for example, A is greater than B, and B is greater than C would be diagrammed A - B - C, where C would have to be less than A because it is less than B, which is less than A. However, this was probably the most simplistic example, and the rules definitely get more complex than this. The basic principle however, a principle of logical deduction remains.

I would definitely encourage you to study the bibles again, and then seek grace of PowerScore tutors if you need further assistance.
 rdee81
|
Hi atierney
Thank you for responding and You’re the bomb!!! I have the 2017 used book, but I have to erase ALOT. Do you think I should buy the most current version? Thrift store really did me in for by showing the picture of the 2021 version of the book for $12 bucks. I guess it’s true that you get what you pay for.

I’m also looking into finding a prep for the LSAT. I do better with a teacher where I can ask questions. Also, is there anywhere I can print just sinking…. I mean sequencing questions? I feel if I can master this than I have a better foundation. Look forward to hearing from you.

Rdee81
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
rdee81 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:55 pm Hi atierney
Thank you for responding and You’re the bomb!!! I have the 2017 used book, but I have to erase ALOT. Do you think I should buy the most current version? Thrift store really did me in for by showing the picture of the 2021 version of the book for $12 bucks. I guess it’s true that you get what you pay for.

I’m also looking into finding a prep for the LSAT. I do better with a teacher where I can ask questions. Also, is there anywhere I can print just sinking…. I mean sequencing questions? I feel if I can master this than I have a better foundation. Look forward to hearing from you.

Rdee81
Hi Rdee81,

Thanks for the response! I have this sinking feeling my response isn't going to be as witty as atierney's, but I'll provide some input nonetheless :-D .

First, while I know it seems economical to study from a reused book, it's not ideal, which you seem to have noticed. The 2017 Bibles are unfortunately outdated; we've made numerous updates to them, most significantly in 2018 and again in 2020. So, I would highly recommend getting the 2020/2021 editions!

Second, it sounds like tutoring may be a good option since it's one-on-one and the tutor can focus directly on those areas you need the most assistance with. If you have any specific questions about tutoring, please let us know and we'd be happy to help!

Lastly, while we don't offer an option to print questions (LSAC regulations don't allow this) we do offer the Digital LSAT Testing and Analytics Package, which offers digital sets of sequencing games!

I hope this helps! Thanks!

P.S. — We have a section of the forum devoted to the LGB Pure Sequencing Chapter: viewforum.php?f=1351 :)
 rdee81
|
I got the 2020 2021 book in the mail today. Wish me luck and a prayer
 shanhickey
|
Hello!

I'm finding that Sequencing games come easy to me UNLESS they contain rules that center on conditional sequencing. How can I get specific practice on these questions? How can I approach them without getting overwhelmed with the conditionality?
 rdee81
|
shanhickey wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:21 pm Hello!

I'm finding that Sequencing games come easy to me UNLESS they contain rules that center on conditional sequencing. How can I get specific practice on these questions? How can I approach them without getting overwhelmed with the conditionality?
whatever the condition is I usually do that first. do you have an example of a question?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Stanhickey

I'd focus on strengthening your understanding of conditional reasoning in general. Conditionals in the games aren't generally any more complex than conditional reasoning in LR. In fact, typically conditionals in the games are likely to be phrased in simpler ways than we see in LR. You should treat a conditional in sequencing games the same way you treat any conditional---remember that if the sufficient isn't met, the necessary isn't required. That's likely the area where you may be struggling. It can feel like the necessary condition is a rule about the game as a whole, when in reality, the necessary condition is only a rule when the sufficient condition is met.

It may help to note specific examples of where you struggle--what conditionals are hard for you? What errors do you tend to make with conditionals in sequencing games?
 shanhickey
|
Rachael Wilkenfeld wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:22 pm Hi Stanhickey

I'd focus on strengthening your understanding of conditional reasoning in general. Conditionals in the games aren't generally any more complex than conditional reasoning in LR. In fact, typically conditionals in the games are likely to be phrased in simpler ways than we see in LR. You should treat a conditional in sequencing games the same way you treat any conditional---remember that if the sufficient isn't met, the necessary isn't required. That's likely the area where you may be struggling. It can feel like the necessary condition is a rule about the game as a whole, when in reality, the necessary condition is only a rule when the sufficient condition is met.

It may help to note specific examples of where you struggle--what conditionals are hard for you? What errors do you tend to make with conditionals in sequencing games?
That makes sense. I think I get tripped up over what is allowed to happen v. not allowed to happen. I remember having a hard time with questions 14-17 in PT 78 June 2016. I had a really hard time with this game because of the conditional rules even though it was a basic linear.

I also feel like I hesitate to have the necessary condition without the sufficient. For example, if F is assigned to B then H is assigned to A. I forget that H can be assigned to A without F being assigned to B. I lose confidence in my answer choices when situations like that occur.
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Shanhickey,

To help you gain confidence in those scenarios, try to just consider the relationship between sufficient and necessary conditions! You only ever know with certainty a necessary condition occurs IF a sufficient condition occurs. The necessary condition alone tells you nothing about if the sufficient condition occurs! For example, consider these conditions: if it rains, then the ground gets wet. If you were to walk outside and notice the ground is wet, can you say definitively that it rained? It might be possible, but what if the sprinklers were just on? What if your neighbor spilled a bottle of water on the ground? The necessary condition can't tell you with certainty that the sufficient condition occurs, but the sufficient condition does tell you that the necessary condition occurs! Grounding yourself in those basics can help you navigate those kinds of games. Keep practicing and reviewing conditional reasoning concepts, you'll get the hang of it :)

If you want anymore help on that specific game or need more clarity, let us know! Hopefully this helps!
-Kate

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.