LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 LS2021
|
Hello! I am having a hard time figuring out which one of the variable sets in advanced linear or mixed games, I should use as my "base." I have noticed that I tend to pick the wrong or more disadvantageous variable sets as my base. Does anyone have any tips on deciding which variable set is the best for the base of games with multiple variable sets and/or no inherent order?

It is specially hard with games that only have letter variable sets with no inherent order.

Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LS,

Thanks for the message! This is a topic that comes up recurrently in our books and courses, so you'll see it addressed repeatedly :-D

The first question I always ask myself is: does one of these sets have an obvious order? That could order of any type, including numerical/ranking/order (1-2-3-4-5 etc), grading (A-B-C-D etc), days of the week (Mon-Tue-Wed etc), or anything else they come up with. If I see one of those sets, that's usually going to be the base, and we almost certainly have a linear game in play. Watch out for sets that look like they have order but don't (see my next question for an example of that).

The second question is: if there's no order, does one of the sets naturally "hold" or contain one or more of the others sets? For example, imagine a game with 9 adults and 3 canoes. The canoes naturally "hold" the adults, so intuitively they would work as a great base. Incidentally, let's say those canoes are numbered 1, 2, and 3. The initial thought might be that 1-2-3 has order and that makes it the base, but chances are pretty good that the ordering element doesn't matter and it's a Grouping game not a Linear game. Regardless, the canoes end up as the base due to their grouping power.

Those two questions handle the majority of base selections you would make, but the best way to get good at this is to study game setups and see what choices we made for each base. you'll begin to realize the above questions handle mos to it, but there are unusual exceptions--study those especially closely!

Hopefully that gives you a good start. Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 LS2021
|
Thank you so much for your response and time. The second half really helps with the concept of "holding." First time I hear of it. I am on lesson 6, and was thrown off by Game 2. The variables are people and appliances and am lost as to how anyone would decide which variable set was better for the base. Instructor mentioned that the people would best serve as a base and I just don't understand why not the appliances? Thank you!

Game #2 December 2005 Q 13-17
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LS2021 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:21 pm Thank you so much for your response and time. The second half really helps with the concept of "holding." First time I hear of it. I am on lesson 6, and was thrown off by Game 2. The variables are people and appliances and am lost as to how anyone would decide which variable set was better for the base. Instructor mentioned that the people would best serve as a base and I just don't understand why not the appliances? Thank you!

Hi LS!

We offer a setup of that game and explanations for each question here:
viewforum.php?f=201

Please review those explanations, and let us know on those posts if you have any specific questions :).

Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LS2021 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:21 pm Thank you so much for your response and time. The second half really helps with the concept of "holding." First time I hear of it. I am on lesson 6, and was thrown off by Game 2. The variables are people and appliances and am lost as to how anyone would decide which variable set was better for the base. Instructor mentioned that the people would best serve as a base and I just don't understand why not the appliances? Thank you!

Hi LS,

This is a good example of where a game can actually be done using different bases and it's not a big negative either way. But, that aside, in the Setup thread that Stephanie linked, I answer the very question you asked, so if you check that out I think it will help: viewtopic.php?f=201&t=11371.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.