LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 Wounded_Bear
|
Hey guys,

I have gone through the Logic Games Bible almost twice now. It is extremely helpful. What I have come to notice is the test-makers play with where your eyes are looking and can kind of manipulate and predict your thoughts and behaviors. I have been trying to take control of my thoughts and attack the questions ("like a back alley street fight", as Jon notes in the Podcast series).

I have been dissecting the Advanced Linear Game on page 240-241 of the Logic Games Bible. I am trying to to train what thoughts should appear in my head as I read the scenario, rules, and questions — especially the questions. Obviously everyone must "comprehend" the question when reading it, but what does that really mean? Let me give an example of my struggle in order to be more precise:

Sticking to the same game, I am dissecting question #6 on page 241 (Local, Must Be True Question). I read the question up to the first comma and then pause: What should I be thinking right now? Is it smart to pause here and think about what I just read for perhaps a half-second or should I just continue? This is where I am having trouble right now. I know it is kind of nitty-gritty, but I'm trying to experiment the best way to comprehend certain questions.

For instance, I have noticed that in this game especially, the test-makers constantly try to confuse you with the variables majors and non-majors. It is really annoying and difficult to remember the variables that make up your bottom row and your top row. They try to confuse you in this same #6 question by saying, "If Wanda is assigned to a lower-numbered bench than Joan...". — two different rows. Against this background, I was thinking that as I read the words in the question, I should simply consider (visualize) their placement? Or should I consider the rule they are tied to (this kind of just happens intuitively)? Or, should I not consider much and try to immediately give it a visual representation? Sorry for the tedious questions! I would really appreciate some help. Thank you.

Best,
Wounded_Bear
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
For more information on that particular game, Wounded_Bear, check out this thread:

viewforum.php?f=320

In addition, I am going to answer your questions more broadly, to apply to all games and not just this one.

First, stopping at the comma in a local question (questions that create a new restriction that applies only to that question, usually starting with the word "if") is exactly what you should do, and you should do more than just visualize that restriction. You should draw it! Local diagrams for local questions will keep you focused and moving forward, on that attack you spoke of. Think with your pencil, as I like to say!

And don't just try to remember the rules, but instead, actually look at them, primarily by looking at how you diagrammed them but also, if needed, at how they were written. After all, they are still there in front of you as you go through every question, so there's no need to memorize a thing! It's great if you remember certain rules and can apply them quickly and confidently, but you should always be ready and willing to rely on the work you did in building a great diagram.

In this game, why try to remember which row each variable goes in? Instead, write FGHJ next to one row and write VWXY next to the other row. That way, it's all there at your fingertips and you don't have to think about it!

Draw your way to success on the game, Bear! All that visualization should be on the paper in front of you.
 Wounded_Bear
|
Thanks, Adam! Reminds me of KISS — Keep it Simple Stupid. Haha.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.