LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 MeriB
|
Hey Powerscore -

I'm generally really accurate on Logic Games, though still working on upping my speed in general. The main pattern that I'm noticing in my practice tests is that LIST questions make me freeze up a little bit out of intimidation, then once I get going testing the answer choices from A-E, I can end up spending five minutes figuring out the answer (especially if the correct choice ends up being E, which I am testing out last).

Is there a better strategy then just attacking list question Answer Choices head on, one choice at a time? I do look over all the choices first and eliminate any obvious wrong ones based on my diagram and rule inferences, too. But in general that doesn't help me much because the test writers tend to exclude any obviously wrong answer choices on these list questions. Finally, is there any difference in strategy that I should consider between attacking GBL list vs LCL list questions?

Thank you,
MeriB
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Meri,

Here are a couple tips that should help with Global List questions:

1. Be okay with "waiting out" a question. What I mean is, certainly go through and make any eliminations that are possible to make quickly from your Global diagram. But if that still leaves you with 3 or 4 answer choices, don't dive in and start testing all of them. Wait until you've done the other Local questions in the game. Those questions are a hugely valuable source of information about the game's possibilities, and you might be able to determine from those questions enough information to get to the right answer (or at least down to 2, so you only have to run one test).
2. Ask yourself (at least after the fact) whether the game should've been templated, and if you didn't template the game originally, figure out (after the fact) what should've prompted you to template the game. I can't tell you the number of Global, List questions that have given me unnecessary anxiety because I didn't approach the game with templates. Often, a game's having multiple Global List questions is a great sign you should template! And the templates, if done right, should change the question from a 5-minute (plus) question to a 30-seconds (or less) question.

For Local List questions, the right approach often involves what I call "mini-templating" (building on the previous discussion). "Mini-templates" occur when a Local question condition leads to having 2 (or MAYBE 3) possible "worlds" in which the question can be solved. Draw both (or, if three, all three), with any inferences you can make in each. Is that going to take a little longer than I'd like a local diagram to take? Sure! Is it going to be faster than just diving in and testing answer choices? You bet! Watching for, and working through, mini-templates has saved me on many Local List questions (and even some plain old Local Could Be True or Local Must Be True questions as well).

I hope this helps!
 MeriB
|
This is so helpful. Thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.