LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

voodoochild
|
I am not able to understand the role of the first sentence in the argument. If literacy enables people to distinguish between true reformers and opportunists, then what's the role of "interim" between literacy and education? Essentially, in the interim, people will be able to distinguish bad guys from good guys. Correct? I am not able to understand the first two sentences of the argument. Please help :(
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey voodoochild,

The that one, the historian begins by saying that the spread of literacy provides people with information about injustices, and sometimes can increase their ability to tell who is a sincere reformer and who is merely looking to take advantage.

But there is always a gap, before a system of general education has been set up, during which people are nonetheless able to read.

During the period when a lot of people can read, but most still lack any standard education, people are more likely to fall prey to clever opportunists, because they are more likely to just believe what they read.

Because of this dynamic, a regime might increase literacy only to then be toppled by a manipulated populace.

I hope that's helpful--let me know if it's clear--thanks!

~Steve
 ubrjames
|
Hello,

I chose answer choice (C) and I'm unsure why it is incorrect.

Premise: spread of literacy informs more people of injustice
Premise: literacy comes before comprehensive system of general education
SubConc: Populace vulnerable to demagogues calling for change (they have literacy but no system of gen. ed.)
Conc: relatively benign regimes may be toppled

Based on the argument, I was looking for a necessary assumption that showed how a system of general education could prevent regimes from being toppled. I chose (C). In my mind, a preserving of a regime is the same as it not being toppled.

Am I wrong because answer choice (D) links the primary conclusion with the first and second premise?

Thanks for your help in advance!

-James
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ubrjames,

Thanks for your question.

Answer choice C is incorrect because the conclusion does not make any claims about what will happen after a general system of education is in place; therefore, it does not rely on any evidence or assumption about what will happen from that point on.

The conclusion simply claims that regimes will be vulnerable in the interim between the spread of literacy and the establishment of education; it does not say what will happen after education becomes a reality. This may seem like splitting hairs, but it is not - it is a key skill on the LSAT, especially in LR and assumption questions.

I think your prephrase was off just a bit, because you were looking for evidence of what will happen after education is established. I think, instead, that we should look for an answer choice that affects what happens before education is established; for instance, one that talks about the impact of the lack of an education, like D.

I hope that helps. Keep working hard.
 ubrjames
|
Clay Cooper wrote:Hi ubrjames,

Thanks for your question.

Answer choice C is incorrect because the conclusion does not make any claims about what will happen after a general system of education is in place; therefore, it does not rely on any evidence or assumption about what will happen from that point on.

The conclusion simply claims that regimes will be vulnerable in the interim between the spread of literacy and the establishment of education; it does not say what will happen after education becomes a reality. This may seem like splitting hairs, but it is not - it is a key skill on the LSAT, especially in LR and assumption questions.

I think your prephrase was off just a bit, because you were looking for evidence of what will happen after education is established. I think, instead, that we should look for an answer choice that affects what happens before education is established; for instance, one that talks about the impact of the lack of an education, like D.

I hope that helps. Keep working hard.
Hi Clay,

That explanation was very helpful. The point you made about my prephrase really cleared things up for me...

Thanks for your help!

-James
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm glad it helped! That's what we are here for.
 alexmcc
|
Would C be the correct answer in a justify/sufficient assumption question, whether or not D was replaced?
 Jennifer Janowsky
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good question, Alex.

In justify questions, you need to identify which statement is sufficient to prove the conclusion. 

In this case, the conclusion can be summarized as follows: Due to widespread literacy without education, the populace is vulnerable to being swayed, and therefore benign governments can be overthrown.

Option (C) can be summarized as “education tends to preserve authority of benign governments.” However, this does not prove the conclusion above. Just because general education will preserve benign governments does not prove anything about a situation in which there is not education, which is what the conclusion is speaking about.

I hope that makes sense!
 akanshalsat
|
Hello! I narrowed my answer down to C and D but eventually chose C

Why exactly is C wrong? I looked at a few explanations you all put before, but they aren't resonating with me. I thought that C was correct bc if you negate it then it will undermine the stimulus, bc the stimulus says that without this system there will be a topple, so obviously with the system there most likely won't be a topple is what they are assuming??
 alexmcc
|
Well that clears things up. Thanks Jennifer!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.