LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Arindom
|
Hi,

I was between A and E but picked A since I was trying to understand it and at the same time rushing to finish the section and didn't want to waste time.

Since, this is a Could be True Except means the correct ans - Must be false/Cannot be true. So, what E is saying is -

Virus that is deadly to organisms of greater complexity that itself ---> cannot be beneficial to humans

Is this diagramming correct? If that is the case then this contradicts the second statement which says that some viruses kill more complex microorganisms that are deadly to humans. Is this correct?

Thanks.

- Arindom
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Arindom,

You got it! :) This is how I'd diagram answer choice (E):

Virus deadly to organisms of greater complexity than itself :arrow: NOT beneficial to humans

This clearly contradicts the second sentence of the stimulus, according to which some viruses kill more complex microorganisms that are deadly to humans (making such viruses beneficial to humans).

Whether mutations can make some deadly viruses beneficial to humans is anyone's guess. We know that random mutations can make beneficial viruses deadly (last sentence), but have no reason to deny the reverse chain of causation. Thus, answer choice (A) could be true, and is therefore incorrect.

Thanks!
 Arindom
|
Thanks, Nikki!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.