LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jkjones3789
|
Hello, So for this assumption question I chose A because I felt that when I applied the assumption negation technique, the conclusion was weakened. Can you please explain why the answer is B. Thank you :-D
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jkhones,

Great question; this is a difficult one. First, let's negate A:
"The definition of the term "resolution" DOES capture an important determinant of the quality of photographic instruments and materials."
That doesn't impact the argument at all, since we already know that different resolution lenses are different qualities.

Now let's try B.
"In determining the amount of detail reproduced in the developed photographic image, differences in the resolutions of available lenses DO compound the deficiencies of available film."
That weakens the conclusion; the argument is that lens resolution doesn't matter since all lenses project more than the film can reproduce. However, if I negate B, it is saying that the amount of detail reproduced can be impacted by the lens resolution if the film is itself not great.

Does that help?
 lsatquestions
|
Can you explain why E is wrong?
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT,

Let's consider the negation of (E): The resolution of a camera's lens and the resolution of the film are not the only factors important in determining the degree of detail in the final product (i.e., there are other things that impact it). That isn't fatal to the argument; we don't really care about other things that impact image detail in this question beyond the lenses and the film. Maybe the printer you use has an effect--that wouldn't impact the argument at all. The conclusion just says that lens resolution doesn't make a difference with modern lenses because they are all more detailed than the film can actually capture. Whether or not other things also impact the resolution of the final film doesn't weaken that conclusion.

I hope that's helpful!
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.