LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (B)

This argument contains an error of composition, one where the status-enhancing activities of most scientists are said to prove that the scientific community as a whole acts to enhance its status.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice describes a compositional error, but not the one that occurs in the stimulus. The stimulus makes a judgment about the scientific community as a whole whereas this answer states that a judgment is made about each and every scientist. The community as a whole is different than each and every scientist, and thus this answer is incorrect.

If you are thinking about the difference between the community as a whole and each member within the community, consider this statement: “Our community is against stealing.” While that may be true, there may also be individual members of the community who are thieves and have no qualm about stealing.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice, and the answer describes the correct compositional error made by the philosopher.

Answer choice (C): The answer is wrong—the author does not presume that the aim of personal career enhancement never advances the pursuit of truth. Consider the second sentence: “Accordingly, the professional activities of most scientists are directed toward personal career enhancement, and only incidentally toward the pursuit of truth. The portion that states “only incidentally toward the pursuit of truth” indicates that the author allows for the possibility that career-enhancement activities can result in activities that pursue truth, even if only a little bit. Since that contradicts the force of never, this answer is incorrect.

This is the most frequently chosen wrong answer, as about 20% of test takers select this choice.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice describes the Uncertain Use of a Term. The term “self-interested” is used only once in the argument (at the end of the first sentence), and the remainder of the argument is consistent with the generally accepted meaning of “self-interested” and uses that meaning unambiguously.

Answer choice (E): The argument in the stimulus is about the relationships of parts and wholes, not about cause and effect. This answer, which describes reasoning from an effect in order to infer its cause, is therefore incorrect. An example of the reasoning described in this answer choice would be: “We know this window was broken this afternoon, and only one pane of the window was broken. We also know the pane was broken by a circular object. Therefore, a baseball was the cause of the broken window.
 GLMDYP
|
Philosopher: Scientists talk about the pursuit of truth, but, like most people, they are self-interested...
[Question content removed by Admin. LSAC rules unfortunately do not allow the posting of the text of complete LSAT questions. But, if you give us the test date or PrepTest number, the section, and the question number (which I put into the question title), we can find it easily and still answer the question. Thanks!]

Thanks!
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi there,

Can you clarify your question about this particular LR problem?

Thanks,
Beth
 GLMDYP
|
Hi Beth! My question is that the right answer is (B), but since the first sentence of the stimulus is "scientists are self-interested." I thought this is a general conclusion and shouldn't be an inference from a premise about individual scientists, but scientists as a whole. Is that right?
Thanks!
 sarae
|
is it because the premise talks about "scientists" then it draws an inference about the "scientific community" as a whole?
 Jason Schultz
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello all,

sarae's question goes straight to the heart of it. The stimulus writer's premise is that "most scientists are directed toward personal career enhancement" but then jumps from that to conclude that the "scientific community" as a whole is about enhancing its own status.

This is known as the fallacy of composition, wherein someone assumes that something which is true of individuals comprising a group must be true of the group collectively. For example, if LeBron James joined my pickup basketball league, you could still comfortably say that "Most of the players on Jason's basketball team are no good," but you couldn't say "Jason's team is no good."

Does that clarify it?
 GLMDYP
|
Oh I see it! I must have misunderstood the word "most". Thank you very much!
 Johnclem
|
Hello power score ,
For this question I was able to see the flaw being a part to whole . BUT what's the difference between answer choice A and B . I see both as part to whole. could you please give me an example of what A would look like?

Thank you
Joh
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi John,

Answer choice (A) reads: "improperly infers that each and every scientist has a certain characteristic." The stimulus, in contrast, says only that "most scientists are directed toward personal career enhancement." The stimulus does not infer anything about every scientist. The correct answer must describe something the argument actually does.
 180bound
|
I’m confused on this one. B is the correct answer. However where is the premise about “individual” scientists? I mean if B would have read “improperly draws an inference about the scientific community as a whole from the premise about a subset of scientists” OK cool. But to me it’s a stretch, to categorize the the premise in question as a premise about individual scientists.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.