LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's not about a subset of scientists, 180bound, but about all scientists individually. They are all human, and thus self-interested. That isn't just about some scientists, but about each of them. The author argues that what is true of scientists (who are individuals) must be true of their group (the scientific community).
 candace
|
Hi, would you be able to go over again the difference between choices A and B? I chose A because I thought "each and every scientist" encompasses the scientific community as a whole. I am trying to understand answer choice B - does "most people" mean "individual scientists" because most does not mean all, but more than 1/2? Thank you!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi candace!

Happy to explain those answer choices. First, we're asked to identify a flaw in this argumentation. On my first read, I began to wonder about it involving "ad hominem" flaws in reasoning, since the stimulus effectively claims that certain scientists are just after personal ambitions and then concludes from this that the scientific community as a whole is also just after ambitions.

Answer choice (A) states that the flaw is that the stimulus "improperly infers that each and every scientist has a certain characteristic [which one?] from the premise that most scientists have that characteristic." The question in brackets is an important step in evaluating answer choices such as this one; if there's a generic, general term like "certain characteristic" used, it's worth looking back to the stimulus to be able to point to what is being referred to by that generic descriptor. The conclusion of this stimulus is "Hence, the activities of the scientific community are largely directed toward enhancing the status of that community as a whole, and only incidentally toward the pursuit of truth." Given the italicized word, this answer choice ultimately doesn't accurately describe a flaw in this stimulus since its conclusion isn't an absolute one about all scientists.

By contrast, answer choice (B) states that it "improperly draws an inference [what inference?] about the scientific community as a whole from a premise about individual scientists." Here, the inference is indeed about something that can be described as a characteristic--the characteristic of being ambitious (at the cost of caring about the truth in scientific inquiry). My initial read of this question therefore wasn't directly on point in necessarily finding the specific flaw mentioned in the right answer choice, but that process of pre-phrasing is a very important one; pausing for a few seconds after reading the stimulus and question stem gives you a chance to wrestle with what you've just read, engage with it, and make a reasoned prediction of an answer choice. Instead, this answer choice is making the reasoning flaw of assuming what is true about some members of a group is true of all the members. That is, it makes a conclusion about the scientific community based on information about "most" individual scientists.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.