LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

akanshalsat
|
Hey! I understand why C is correct bc if a social system's values aren't susceptible to change then obviously it can't be one where technology has an opportunity to take away economic roles bc taking away economic roles inherently means changing the values of a social system, but I'm still not convinced on why D is incorrect. If a society if technologically advanced, wont it then place little value on the prestige?

Is D wrong b/c its talking about all technology in general, whereas the stimulus talks about specifically "labor saving technology"?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You got it, akanshalsat! Answer D is too broad and general, and doesn't deal with those labor-saving technologies that make certain roles obsolete. Thus, C is better, and is the correct answer. Well done!
 jdbh2022
|
Hi, I am trying to figure out whether this process of deriving a conditional based on the last sentence of the stimulus is accurate. Is it correct to derive "introduction to labor saving technology in any social systems" -> "undermine the values of the social system"?

Is the above conditional correct because it started with "for any social systems"?

I have hard time figuring out what are the sufficient and necessary conditions here because the word "any" is not a part of the subject or the object of the sentence.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jdbh,

That last sentence in the stimulus can be tricky to diagram. You're right that the word "any" is our sufficient indicator here. I would diagram it as having two sufficient terms.

SS and LSTCERO -> TUV

Where SS is "social system" and LSTCERO is "labor-saving technology makes certain economic roles obsolete" and TUV is "tend to undermine values."

(Note, while LSTCERO is a lot of letters to use, it is important to make sure that you include the concept of making economic roles obsolete because that is what leads to the undermining of values, whether or not you completely show this in your diagram. In other words, it may be possible to have labor saving technology that doesn't make certain economic roles obsolete, it just makes people better at their jobs rather than eliminating their jobs.)

The contrapositive would be:

not TUV -> Not SS or Not LSTCERO

Answer C basically uses the contrapositive to basically state:

if SS and not TUV, then Not LSTCERO

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.