LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

LSAT2018
|
I was able to eliminate all the answer choices that were unsupported and choose (D). But I was wondering, would this answer be acceptable if this were a MUST BE TRUE question, not a MOST STRONGLY SUPPORTED question?

PS. Would answers (A) (B) and (C) be broad generalizations made from the statements on premodern general theories?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT,

Yes, (D) would still be the right answer if they changed the stem here. With (A), (B), and (C), there are problems with each one that knock them out so I wouldn't say they are broad generalizations that are true (they are broad generalizations, just not ones supported by the statements above).

Thanks!
 ronaldofenomeno
|
Hello,

I'm having trouble understanding why D is the correct answer and not A.

Could you kindly develop why D is the correct answer?

Thanks in advance.
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Ronald,

The stimulus tells us that in order for a general theory to achieve its purpose, it must explain every aesthetic feature found in any of the arts.

Gen art theory achieves purpose :arrow: explains features found in any art

Furthermore, it lets us know that none of the premodern general theories were able to achieve this purpose, because they failed to explain some aesthetic feature of music. Therefore the premodern gen theories failed to achieve the necessary condition, which means they failed the sufficient condition, and could not achieve their purpose.

Gen art theory achieves purpose :arrow: explains features found in any art (becuase the premodern theories couldn't explain all features of music)

Which means

Gen art theory achieves purpose :arrow: explains features found in any art

And there is no way around this - unless we say well music actually isn't art. If that's the case, then maybe some of the premodern theories did explain every feature of art, meaning they also could achieve their purpose. Answer choice (D) states this.

Looking at answer choice (A) - we don't know that all general theories of art accomplish this. If the general theory of art achieves its purpose , then sure, this would be true due to the logical relationship we already identified (Gen art theory achieves purpose :arrow: explains features found in any art). However, we don't know that all gen theories of art achieve their purpose - and in fact, this stimulus seems to be showing examples of some theories that certainly didn't achieve that purpose (i.e. the premodern general theories which failed to explain music).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.