LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Resolve the Paradox. The correct answer choice is (B)

The paradox in the stimulus is that raisins contain more iron per calorie than grapes even though the
two are almost identical in composition. But there is a difference: “some of the sugar in grapes is
caramelized” as the grapes are dried in the sun. Since this is the only stated difference between the
two that could affect the calorie count (water has no calories), you should focus on an answer that
discusses this difference.

Answer choice (A): This answer essentially states that grapes are bigger than raisins, and you need
several bunches to equal a handful of raisins. The issue is not the size of the grapes or raisins!

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer. If the iron content in the raisins and grapes is
identical, but raisins have fewer calories for counting purposes, then the iron per calorie will be
higher for raisins, as highlighted by the following example:
LR.PNG
Note that the paradox could have addressed any common element between raisins and grapes (such
as fiber or fat), and raisins would always have the higher per calorie content since they contain fewer
countable calories.

Answer choice (C): The paradox in the stimulus does not involve the rate at which the body can
absorb iron or any other nutrient. This answer misses the point and is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): The availability of raisins and grapes is not an issue in the stimulus. The answer
then discusses iron, but the point made about yearly intake is irrelevant.

Answer choice (E): The comparison in the stimulus is between grapes and raisins. This answer,
which brings in other food items, is irrelevant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 sarae
|
I'm a little confused as to why answer choice B is the correct answer.

The two differences between grapes and raisins are the water content and the caramelized sugar. answer choice C addresses the different water content, while answer choice B addresses the caramelized sugar.

Is C incorrect because it talks about the absorption of iron rather than the calorie content?

Thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sarae,

You got it; the paradox presented deals with the the amount of iron per calorie in raisins, not the body's ability to absorb that iron.

~Steve
 haganskl
|
Hello.

I spent a minute or 2 longer than I should have on this question because I was stuck between answer choices B & C.

When that happens, my first plan of attack is to determine if each answer choice is too broad, too narrow or beyond the purview of the argument. I think the body’s absorption process in answer choice C is beyond the purview of the argument since the stim is referring to iron per calorie content inside or outside of the body. Is this line of thinking correct?

TIA!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi hagan,

Yes, that sounds pretty good to me, although I'm going to suggest you adjust your terminology (and the question you're asking of the answers) slightly. In Family 2 and 3 questions, "new facts" in answer choices are okay, but only if they do what the question stem asks them to do. Here, we need facts in an answer choice that do the work of "explain[ing] why raisins contain more iron per calorie than grapes." Answer choice C can't do that work, because it doesn't shed any light on, and therefore doesn't explain anything about, the calorie content of raisins or grapes. So, assuming that's what you mean by "outside the purview," then I'm on board with your reasoning!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.