LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 JNSIWL24
|
Hi,
I want to check answer choice (e) using the argument structure of the stimulus and Justify the Conclusion Analysis steps. Please correct me if the following steps are incorrect.

Assumption: If can’t help with higher intellectual functioning—-> can’t have an appreciable impact on education.
Contrapositive: If has an appreciable impact on education——> can help with higher intellectual functioning

A—->B If has an appreciable impact on education —> can help with higher intellectual functioning
NOT B. Computers can’t help students with higher intellectual functioning
———- —————————————————————————————————————————————-
NOT A Computer’s won’t have an appreciable impact on education.

My purpose is to check my responses on test day, if time permits.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm not sure I fully follow which parts of your answer refer to which steps in the process. I'm going to explain my process, and you can see how it lines up with your thoughts.

Premise: Computers are useful for drills
Premise: Only a small part of education can be accomplished through drills
Premise: Machines (computers) cannot help students with higher intellectual functioning

Conclusion: Computers will not have an appreciable impact on education.

We need to link up the idea of having an appreciable impact on education with the ideas in the premises. If we can bridge that gap, we can prove the conclusion.

Answer choice (E) does that for us---it says that having an appreciable impact on education involves higher intellectual functioning. When we add that to the stimulus, we see that computers don't involve higher intellectual functioning, intellectual functioning is a part of having an appreciable impact on education, so it follows that computers won't have an appreciable impact on education.

Hope that helps!
 JNSIWL24
|
Hi Rachael,
I see your point and it helps! Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.