LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must be true. The correct answer choice is (C)

The last sentence contains a conclusion, and this conclusion is the primary evidence that supports
answer choice (C).

Answer choice (A): The word “often” in the first sentence of the stimulus is the key to this answer
choice. “Often” means frequently, but frequently is not the same as “most.” Had the stimulus said
“more often than not,” that would mean “most” and this answer choice would be correct. Side note:
in the Chapter on Formal Logic, the definition of “most” and related terms will be discussed in more
detail.

Answer choice (B): We cannot determine if readers of mystery stories solve the mystery simply by
spotting the errors of the dull companion.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer. The second sentence indicates that “clues are
presented in the story...the detective uses to deduce the correct solution.” Combined with the last
sentence, which states “the author’s strategy...gives readers a chance to solve the mystery,” this
answer choice is proven by facts.

Answer choice (D): Look for the facts in the stimulus—do they support this answer? Although the
dull companion diverts readers from the correct solution, we do not know if actions of the brilliant
detective rarely divert readers from the actions of the dull companion.

Answer choice (E): This is a tricky answer choice if you do not read closely. The stimulus states that
the dull companion infers a wrong solution from clues that the brilliant detective ultimately uses to
solve the mystery. Answer choice (E) states that the dull companion uncovers misleading clues. This
is incorrect; the interpretation of the clues is misleading, not the clues themselves.
 Doodle
|
After eliminating obviously incorrect answers, I ended up with A and C. I incorrectly picked A. I do not see anything in the prompt that supports answer choice C over A, and was wondering if anybody could help explain why A is incorrect.

Thanks,
Andy
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Andy, thanks for your question. That one comes down to the difference between "some" and "most." The author of the passage merely provides that mystery stories often feature such a detective. This is not enough to support answer choice A, which makes a bold claim about most, or the majority of, mystery stories. Correct answer choice C, on the other hand, only makes an assertion regarding some mystery stories--a softer claim that is supported by the passage.
 Doodle
|
thanks very much for the quick reply. as obvious as this statement seems, i suppose i'll have to pay a little more attention to detail.

thanks again.
 nghiem505
|
For this question i chose B as the answer because the passage states that "Mystery stories often feature a brilliant detective", and going down " the companion wrongly infers an inaccurate solution to the mystery using the same clues that the detective uses to deduce the correct solution". While not exactly clear about the "mystery stories OFTEN feature" VS " Most mystery stories feature", but I feel positive about part of the answer stating " feature brilliant detective who solves"
The correct answer is C, however, i see nowhere in the passage does the author gives evidence that some stories gives readers enough clues to infer the correct solution to the mystery. Giving readers "a chance to solver the mystery" is not the same thing as "give readers enough clues to infer the correct solution to he mystery". I think
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The problem with answer choice B is that, with regard to this Must Be True question, our knowledge is limited to the information provided in the stimulus. We know that clues are presented in such a way as to give readers a chance to solve the mystery. So our discussion is limited to how the stories are written, but we don't know anything about how mystery readers respond.

As for correct answer choice C, the stimulus specifically states that the author's strategy gives readers a chance to solve the mystery. So, we know that enough clues are provided to infer a solution, but again, we can't say whether or not readers are able to put those clues together. Really subtle distinction--and a great question!

Plese let me know whether that clears it up--thanks!

~Steve
 reop6780
|
The correct answer is C while I chose A.

Based upon what can i infer that "some mytery stories ...ENOUGH clues"...? (C)

I personally thought answer A is simply rephrased version of the first sentence of stimuli.

What fact test hinders answer A from being right?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi reop,

Answer C is supported because we know some stories give readers a chance to solve the mystery, which must mean they have the clues they need to solve it.

For answer A, you are confusing "often" with "most." If 1 in 3 stories featured a brilliant detective, that would be "often," but would still be less than half and therefore would not be "most."
 c-erv
|
Hello,

I've narrowed the answers choices to A and C and I'm having trouble seeing why answer choice A is wrong. The opening sentence states that these stories "often" feature the detective and companion. Does "often" NOT translate to "most", thus making answer A also correct?

Thanks
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi c-erv,

Good question. "Often" and "most" are not synonymous. If I told you that mystery stories do this 50% of the time, that would be "often," but it would be just very slightly under "most." Does that make sense?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.