LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

bk1111
|
Hi,

I got this question right, but I was deliberating between A and C for some time. Why exactly is A wrong? I eliminated it because I thought Julia more than "strongly questions" Marie's conclusion...she rejects it by saying "Nonsense! ...I am not morally entitled..." But I am confused by the second part of the answer choice (A) that says "while accepting that principle."

Thank you!
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer choice (A) states that Julia accepts the principle offered by Marie. This is the opposite of what Julia does. Julia abstracts the reasoning Marie gives to show how in a separate situation, Marie would have to disagree with the principle - it is not morally wrong to take something if you do not trick, threaten, or physically force someone - that she originally used.
 tetsuya0129
|
Hi Powerscore staff,

I had a question regarding "the opposite of Marie's" on (C): Why "not morally entitled to keep it" is the opposite of "not morally wrong to keep it"?

For me, "not morally wrong" can mean morally allowable/permissible. By contrast, "not morally entitled to keep it" only refer to the lack of moral entitlements to keep it.

Could you please help explain?
Thank you.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi tetsuya0129,

The nice thing here is that we know LSAC believes that what was said is opposite in some sense, so in review we want to determine how they see this. From what you said, I think you made an analysis of the language that goes beyond what is there, and overlooked what is really happening between the two speakers.

To put it in basic terms, Marie's conclusion here is that it is acceptable to keep the money. Julia's conclusion is that you shouldn't keep the money (or coat, in her example). Those are opposite courses of action, and (C) aptly describes that scenario.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.