LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (E)

To answer Method of Reasoning questions quickly and efficiently, it is important to have firm grasp of the structure of the argument and not just its details. When examining the answer choices, rule out any answer choice that contains elements that you cannot “match” to the information contained in the stimulus.

The structure of the argument can be summarized as follows:
  • Premise (1): ..... Bats are susceptible to rabies;

Premise (2): ..... Bats fly into Britain from continental Europe;

Premise (3): ..... Bats cannot be quarantined;

Sub Concl.: ..... The quarantine policy cannot control rabies spread by wild bats;

Conclusion: ..... The strict quarantine policy, designed to prevent widespread outbreak of rabies, cannot succeed indefinitely in preventing such outbreaks.
By describing a problem (flying bats) that falls outside the reach of a certain policy (the quarantine of imported domesticated animals), the author concludes that the problem will defeat the purpose of the policy (won’t prevent rabies outbreaks) and ensure its ultimate failure (the policy cannot succeed indefinitely). The only answer choice that describes this argumentative structure is answer choice (E).

Answer choice (A): The factors other than the policy itself (i.e. the bats) certainly cannot account for the results attributed to that policy: the quarantine is not intended to spread rabies but to contain it. This answer choice is illogical and incorrect.

Answer choice (B): The objection to the policy in question (i.e. the bats flying from Europe) is most definitely relevant to the particular situation the policy was designed to address (i.e. the spread of rabies in Britain), since the bats will likely defeat the purpose of the policy. This answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): The reason why the policy is likely to fail is not because the officials charged with enforcing it somehow fail to perform their duties. There is no reason to believe anyone can stop bats from flying into Britain. The stimulus offers no support for such a supposition.

Answer choice (D): The universal adoption of the policy (or lack thereof) is not the problem that the policy fails to address. Even if every other country adopted the strict policy of quarantine of imported domesticated animals, bats can still fly into Britain from continental Europe.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer chioce. See discussion above.
 jhomer42
|
So I agree that is E is one of the two top answers, but E still states "bound to fail" which is different, qualitatively than saying "cannot succeed indefinitely." Also, I find the explanation for why A is not correct wanting. A states that other "factors" could account for the results of the policy itself, so if the policy itself fails, then those other "factors" could explain why they failed. The explanation in this question for why A is not sufficient is insufficient.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Read that explanation again, jhomer42 - I think you may be missing the problem. The policy is not intended to spread rabies, but to contain the spread. Thus, the argument is not attributing any results to the policy, but is pointing out that there will be a certain result despite the policy trying to prevent that result. Answer A is describing a strategy that was not employed in the argument because it describes a state of affairs that does not match the facts given in the stimulus. There are no results "attributed to that policy" in the argument!

Another problem with answer A is that the argument does not seek to undermine support for the policy. It's simply pointing out that the policy will not work. Nowhere does the author attempt to convince people who support the policy to stop doing so or to reverse their position.

I'm not sure what you mean about the difference between "cannot succeed indefinitely" and "bound to fail." If the policy cannot succeed indefinitely, then at some point it will fail, no?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.