LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (E)

The quickest way to answer this question is to put together the facts presented in the stimulus and react!

The fact set that can be summarized as follows: while many child psychologists believe that traditional childrearing practices damage the child’s self-esteem and makes them less confident as adults, adults raised under the traditional practice were, on average, as confident as adults not so raised. To resolve the paradox between this fact and the opinion of the child psychologists, it must be true either that the fact is incorrect (which is rarely the issue on the LSAT), or that some aspect of the child psychologists’ belief is mistaken. On the LSAT, facts are rarely wrong; opinions usually are. Answer choice (E) is therefore correct.

Answer choice (A): This may seem like an attractive answer choice at first, since it suggests that the beliefs of the psychologists about the consequences of loss of self-esteem are incorrect. However, remember that the child psychologists’ belief is two-fold: (1) traditional childrearing practices damage the child’s self-esteem; and (2) this makes children less confident as adults.

Even if child psychologists are wrong, as this answer choice suggests, it need not be true that the second part of their beliefs be incorrect: it is entirely plausible that the they are correct about the consequence of loss of self-esteem, but are mistaken as to the effects of traditional childrearing practices on children’s self-esteem. Answer choice (A) would have been a lot more attractive if it stated that the beliefs of child psychologists about the consequences of loss of self-esteem may be incorrect.

Answer choice (B): We cannot infer any information about the outliers in a group (most and least confident adults) based on information about a property shared by the average member of that group (adults raised under the traditional practice were, on average, as confident as adults not so raised). This answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): Passerby only observed that the child had misbehaved. We have no reason to suspect that the child did not misbehave. This answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is possibly true, but is too extreme. Just because the psychologists believe that children’s low self-esteem causes lack of confidence in adulthood does not necessarily entail the inverse correlation between higher self-esteem and higher levels of confidence. It is entirely possible that the most confident adults are confident for reasons entirely unrelated to their childhood.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice, as it establishes a conditional relationship between the two parts of the child psychologists’ beliefs: either they were wrong to think that loss of self-esteem makes children less confident as adults, or the traditional practice in question did not cause significant loss of self-esteem. If they were correct about the former, they could not have been right about the latter.
 chiickenx
|
Hi, Im just having a lot of trouble understanding how (E) MUST be true. I think it COULD be true, but idk how it is properly derived from the stimulus.... Can someone please review my blind review below?

A. No… it could be true, its just there might be other ways that contribute towards loss of self-esteem such that it all balances out. Like spanking a child maybe…

B. Not necessarily… Supposing confidence could be quantified, children raised and not raised under 19th century practice could have the same average. But those not raised as such coulda been those who held 100% confidence and 0% confidence, while the adults raised under the 19th century practice coulda consistently been at 50%....

C. MBF…. direct contradiction. The passerby must conclude that the child misbehaved. Also, idk what the passerby does to confidence…. there just no relationship between the passerby's judgement and confidence.... it might just be extraneous info for all i know...

D. I dunno anything about “the most confident adult...”

E. Hmm…. it coulda been a huge self-esteem loss, its just those raised and not raised under 19th century practice coulda balanced out to have the same averages (e.g., there are only two types of child rearing practice: spanking your child and the 19th century way. Spanking does the same amount of damage as the 19th century way. If this is the case, the confidence level could be the same on average, but that is not to say that the confidence that is lost is NOT significant...) However, if we further assume that the average level of confidence in adults is not stupidly low, this might work???? I guess ima go with this one because its the safest… the others just aren’t really supported….

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm with you here, chiickenx - it seems that the answer overlooks the possibility that everyone was suffering from a loss in confidence during that time, and being average doesn't mean you didn't lose confidence. But the rest of your analysis shows why it is still the credited response, because it is the least bad answer of the bunch. It certainly seems like a reasonable inference that if those kids grew up to be adults who were just as confident as other people not treated that way, then the treatment didn't have that big an impact. Certainly it had little to no impact relative to the norm, whatever that was. So E, despite that minor problem, is the best answer of the bunch, and must be the credited response.

Good breakdown, well done!
 chiickenx
|
Hi Adam, I guess i sorta get what youre saying; but if that was the case, this shoulda been a most strongly supported question, right? Cause the AC doesnt necessarily have to be true.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
chiickenx wrote:Hi Adam, I guess i sorta get what youre saying; but if that was the case, this shoulda been a most strongly supported question, right? Cause the AC doesnt necessarily have to be true.
I always find it easier to think about why LSAC thinks this is the right answer vs concluding they are wrong or made a mistake. Mainly because You Can’t Argue with the LSAT :-D
 menkenj
|
I am still struggling with why A is wrong. I just started studying so still learning my way out of noob status.
Can you say a bit more about why A is wrong please? I fell for the trap and want to learn from it. Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Menkenj

Answer choice (A) requires a really subtle distinction. It says that the beliefs of the psychologists about the effects of low self-esteem is incorrect. But do we know that any of the children involved here have low self-esteem? The psychologists believe the practice would cause low self-esteem, but the stimulus doesn't establish it DOES cause low self-esteem. What facts in the stimulus would support that causation? There isn't proof provided, it's just part of the psychologists' belief.

That's why answer choice (E) works. It doesn't require proving the belief of the psychologists, but instead is phrased as a conditional statement.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.