LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (B)

The author concludes that Freudian theories of behavior should be abandoned in favor of theories that are more successful at predicting human behavior. Her recommendation only follows if we assume that such theories are more scientifically valuable than Freud’s. Answer choice (B) is therefore correct.

Answer choice (A): While this answer supports the conclusion that Freudian theories should be abandoned in favor of those more successful at predicting human behavior, it is not a necessary assumption for the argument. To test this, try the Assumption Negation technique: even if Freudian theories had offered suggestions that were proven as true, they may still be less successful at predicting human behavior than the alternative theories recommended by the author. Since the logical opposite of this answer choice does not necessarily weaken the conclusion, this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice, as it links the predictive superiority of the new theories (a fact) to their preferability over Freudian psychoanalysis (an opinion). If a psychological theory with greater predictive success than another were not scientifically preferable to it, the author’s conclusion would be illogical.

Answer choice (C): While this answer supports the conclusion that Freudian theories should be abandoned in favor of those more successful at predicting human behavior, it is not a necessary assumption for the argument. To test this, try the Assumption Negation technique: even if Freudian theories had much success in predicting how people will behave in various situations, they may still be less successful at predicting human behavior than the competing theories recommended by the author. Since the logical opposite of this answer choice does not necessarily weaken the conclusion, this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): How the predictive success of a theory is measured is irrelevant to the author’s conclusion. Even if such measurement did not involve considering other theories that attempt to explain the same phenomena, the author’s conclusion still holds.

Answer choice (E): While this answer may lend some moderate support to the conclusion that Freudian theories, which are complex, should be abandoned in favor of those more successful at predicting human behavior, it is not a necessary assumption for the argument. The author does not need to establish that Freud’s theory is impractical; only that other theories are preferable due to their superior ability to predict human behavior. This answer choice is incorrect.
 LAM
|
I chose C because the word 'scientifically' in Answer choice B threw me off. if that word would have been left out, I likely would have chose it. I understand the assumption negation technique exposes C (because the stimulus is really just comparing degrees of success so answer choice C is therefore weak when you negate it). However, I STILL would have chose C based on the word scientifically in answer choice B. Can you help illuminate why the word scientifically is not wrong (i.e.: doesn't make it out of scope or little too extreme)?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LAM,

Without "scientifically", it seems as if you would have no problem with answer choice (B). The acceptability of "scientifically" hinges on why the psychologist is making this argument. The argument in the stimulus is all about which theories of psychology are better. Because psychology is a science, for a psychological theory to be preferable to another, it must be scientifically preferable. Thus, "scientifically" doesn't add anything unacceptably out of scope to answer choice (B).

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.