LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning—CE. The correct answer choice is (D)

The arguments of Anne and Sue can be analyzed as follows:
  • Anne’s Argument

Premise: ..... Halley’s Comet, now in a part of its orbit relatively far from the Sun, recently flared brightly enough to ..... ..... ..... be seen by telescope.

Premise: ..... No comet has ever been observed to flare so far from the Sun before.

Conclusion: ..... Such a flare must be highly unusual.

Sue’s Argument

Premise: ..... Usually no one bothers to try to observe comets when they are so far from the Sun.

Premise: ..... This flare was observed only because an observatory was tracking Halley’s Comet very carefully.

Conclusion: ..... [Your conclusion is] Nonsense.
As is often the case with two-speaker stimuli, the speakers disagree. In this case, Anne uses causal reasoning to indicate that the cause of the sighting is unusual activity with Halley’s comet:
  • FU = the flare is highly unusual
    NCO = no comet has ever been observed to flare so far from the sun

Cause ..... ..... Effect

FU ..... :arrow: ..... NCO
Sue counters by citing an alternate cause: no one has been looking for such a flare.

• NO = no one bothers to try to observe comets when they are so far from the Sun
    NCO = no comet has ever been observed to flare so far from the sun

Cause ..... ..... Effect

NO ..... :arrow: ..... NCO

The problem now becomes an exercise in figuring out how the test makers will describe the alternative cause cited by Sue.

Answer choice (A): This answer quickly fails the Fact Test. Sue does not comment on the use of the term “observed” (other than to explain why the flare was observed).

Answer choice (B): Although Sue cites an explanation that is inconsistent with Anne’s claim, she does not point out an inconsistency between two of Anne’s claims

Answer choice (C): Remember, evidence is the same as premises. Does Sue contradict Anne’s premises? No, she only contradicts her conclusion. Do not be drawn in by the word “nonsense.” That word is used to attack the conclusion, not the premises of the argument.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. In this answer, the alternate cause is described as an “alternative explanation.” In most cases, a causal counterargument can be described as offering an alternative explanation.

Answer choice (E): This is a Reverse Answer. The answer appears as follows:
  • “undermining some of Anne’s evidence while agreeing with her conclusion”
If the answer choice was reversed in the following manner, it would be correct:
  • “undermining her [Anne’s] conclusion while agreeing with some of Anne’s evidence
The evidence she agrees with is the first sentence of Anne’s argument (the premise in the second sentence is not directly addressed).
 egarcia193
|
Hi,

I didn't see the causality in this, I had it narrowed down between answer choice C and D and chose C. I can understand why D is right when it is explained but I did not notice any causality when I read the argument and when I chose C I thought it was referring to Sue contradicting Anne's conclusion not premises or evidence which I see now why it is wrong. But would it be possible to show where and how the causality functions I don't really understand the diagrams set up very well?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Let's start with Sue's response. Did you notice and understand the the use of the phrase "only because" in the final sentence of the stimulus?

As for the causality expressed earlier in the stimulus, it is not entirely necessary to diagram the statements shown in the administrator's post above. Diagramming causality is a helpful tool, but don't get hung up on it if it is giving you trouble. As long as you see that Anne is presenting evidence that she believes leads to her conclusion, and Sue offers an alternative way to understand the the events, you should be able to select answer choice (D).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.