LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Reasoning-SN. The correct answer choice is (C)

The conditional reasoning in this stimulus can be summarized as follows:
  • Premise (1): ..... Work of art ..... :arrow: ..... Evoke Intense Feelings

Premise (2): ..... This sculpture ..... :arrow: .....Work of art

Sub Conclusion: ..... This sculpture ..... :arrow: ..... Evoke Intense Feelings
BUT:
  • Premise (3): ..... This sculpture ..... :arrow: .....Evoke Intense Feelings

==============================================
  • Conclusion: ..... Either Premise (1) or Premise (2) is wrong
Answer choice (A): The third premise does not deny the validity of the subsidiary conclusion; instead, it negates the second premise. Had the argument observed that biology lab was not cancelled, and then concluded that either the biology lab is not a class, or that not all classes are cancelled, this would have been a good answer.

Answer choice (B): Use the Conclusion Test to eliminate this answer choice. We are looking for a conclusion that states "either A or B." Here the conclusion is in the form of "A and B." Virtually everything else about this answer choice matches the argument in the stimulus, which is why it is a commonly chosen decoy answer. Always make sure the conclusion test is satisfied in the correct answer.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. The combination of the two first premises produces an additive inference stating, "beta-carotene is safe in large doses." The third premise denies this conclusion. As a result, either the first premise is not true ("not all vitamins are safe in large doses") or that the second premise is not ("beta-carotene is not a vitamin"). Since this line of reasoning is a perfect match of the argument contained in the stimulus, this answer choice is correct.

Answer choice (D): The conclusion test can be used to quickly eliminate this answer choice.

Answer choice (E): The premise test can be used to quickly eliminate this answer choice, because it does not contain two premises (A→ B and BC) that can be combined to produce an additive inference of the type A C.
 adlindsey
|
For P3, shouldn't EIF be negated?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for catching that typo, adlindsey! I've corrected it.
 acp25
|
Hi!

I wanted to know why the first sentence does not create one conditional statement such as: WAEIF + SWA :arrow: SEIF and instead created two conditional statements. I did not initially see two premises in that one sentence. Please advise. Thank you in advance.
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi!

I think the keys here are twofold. First, "all works of art evoke intense feelings" is certainly a conditional rule in and of itself. This would be similar to "All dogs run swiftly" or "all politicians lie."

Secondly, the second clause in that first sentence repeats an element from that original rule, the idea of a "work of art." So the structure of this first sentence is essentially: "All A's are B's, and this sculpture is an A, so it follows that this sculpture is also a B."

This repetition, I think, truly is the key. It is very common to see conditional rules established, and then to see an author apply those rules to facts that match the rules.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.