LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

JocelynL
|
My pre-phrase to this question was "Studies are flawed, no link was found" - so I chose answer B, but the correct answer is C. I can see why C is correct because it would also incorporate the last sentence in the stimulus, but how would we know when to incorporate this into the main conclusion? When the author is just trying to convince us that the study is flawed and that's typically enough for the conclusion. I see the last sentence as a premise for the main conclusion.
thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Jocelyn,

Answer choice (B) is correct for this one! You're right that the last sentence is a premise. If you saw a different answer somewhere, that's a typo!

Robert Carroll
 LSATQUEEN180
|
Drill this into your head: FIND THE CONCLUSION and the answer choice will paraphrase it. don't overthink!!!

The first conclusion is "these studies are flawed." but remember to identify what "these studies" mean. So to rewrite the first conclusion:
"the two major studies, which found no causal link between procedure X and Y are flawed."

Clearly after reading through the entire passage the first sentence is the conclusion.

Looking at the answer choices find something that paraphrases: "the two major studies, which found no causal link between procedure X and Y are flawed."

A. not the conclusion ... move on
B. sounds just like what I predicted
C. not the conclusion... move on
D. doesn't match the conclusion
E. this is tricky but because it does not say in any type of way "are flawed" this answer choice is wrong.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSATQUEEN180,

It looks like you did this exactly right, so way to go!

One other piece of advice that I'll add is that I recommend always physically marking the conclusion in the text. In other words, if you're doing the question on paper, bracket or underline it with a pencil or highlight it. If you're doing the question digitally, use the digital highlighter or the underline tool. This advice isn't just for Main Point Questions, it will be helpful for every argument because the conclusion is the most important part of the argument.

Also, the test makers often like to use synonyms in the correct answer choices to "hide/disguise" them, so be aware of this trick. For example, here the word "unsound" is a synonym for "flawed."

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.