LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (D)

The author argues that modern capitalism strengthens communal ties, because it requires that there be large corporations. You should expect this conclusion from the very first sentence of the stimulus (whenever the author begins by stating what "some people argue," you know that her conclusion would be the exact opposite of their argument).

To prephrase an assumption, begin by asking yourself if this argument is strong enough. Just because modern capitalism requires large corporations, that does not mean that it strengthens communal ties. Maybe large corporations cultivate the sense of isolation and require prolonged hours on the job, which weakens the ties in the community. The proper Defender Assumption must ensure that large corporations strengthen the communal ties.

Answer choice (A): While this answer choice strengthens the argument, it is not necessary that modern capitalism be the ideal (or close to ideal) economic system for fostering communal ties. Even if other economic systems fostered communal ties just as successfully as capitalism, the author's conclusion would still follow. This answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (B): If the primary purpose of modern capitalism is to distribute goods and services rather than foster communal ties, the author's conclusion would be weakened. Because this answer choice does the exact opposite of what is needed, it is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): The need for corporations to develop ties to each other is not the same as the idea of developing communal ties. This answer choice is irrelevant and incorrect.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. If large corporations did not promote the strength of communal ties, the conclusion would be seriously weakened.

Answer choice (E): The economic success of a particular system is irrelevant and does not provide a premise necessary for the conclusion to be true. This answer choice is incorrect.
 est15
|
Hi, I have two questions regarding this problem.

I was a little uncomfortable about picking D because it seems like the passage already inferred D. Can an answer still be right for an assumption question if the stimulus already said it?

Also, is this actually a Justify question? I would definitely have picked D if this were written as a Justify question. Since if D were true, the conclusion must be true.

I'm hoping not to miss an easy question like this again by better understanding the scope of assumption questions. Thanks.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi est15,

Let me start with your second question first. When the stem asks, "Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?" - this is an assumption question. Assumption questions require you to identify a claim that is necessary for the conclusion to be valid. By contrast, Justify questions would ask, "Which one of the following, if true (or if assumed), would enable the conclusion to be properly drawn?" In that case, test-makers direct you to assume that each of the answer choices is a true statement, and examine their effect on the conclusion; the one that is sufficient to justify the conclusion is the correct answer choice.

To answer your substantive question regarding answer choice (D), this is not something the economist explicitly stated in his argument. Essentially, the argument is structured as follows:
Premise: Modern capitalism :arrow: Large corporations

Conclusion: Modern capitalism promotes communal ties.
Clearly, there is a missing (unstated) connection between "large corporations" and "communal ties." Answer choice (D) represents a Supporter assumption that ties the two elements together. You can also try the Assumption Negation Technique: if large corporations did not promote the strength of communal ties, the conclusion makes little sense. Since the logical opposite of answer choice (D) weakens the conclusion, it is the correct answer choice to this assumption question.

Last, since an assumption is - by definition - a statement upon which the conclusion depends, it is tantamount to an inference. Unlike Must Be True questions, however, an Assumption question will always direct you to identify a claim that is not explicitly mentioned in the argument. And, Assumption questions require argumentation; Must Be True questions do not.

Hope this helps!
 Tuothekhazar
|
Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (D)

The author argues that modern capitalism strengthens communal ties, because it requires that there be large corporations. You should expect this conclusion from the very first sentence of the stimulus (whenever the author begins by stating what "some people argue," you know that her conclusion would be the exact opposite of their argument).

To prephrase an assumption, begin by asking yourself if this argument is strong enough. Just because modern capitalism requires large corporations, that does not mean that it strengthens communal ties. Maybe large corporations cultivate the sense of isolation and require prolonged hours on the job, which weakens the ties in the community. The proper Defender Assumption must ensure that large corporations strengthen the communal ties.

Answer choice (A): While this answer choice strengthens the argument, it is not necessary that modern capitalism be the ideal (or close to ideal) economic system for fostering communal ties. Even if other economic systems fostered communal ties just as successfully as capitalism, the author's conclusion would still follow. This answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (B): If the primary purpose of modern capitalism is to distribute goods and services rather than foster communal ties, the author's conclusion would be weakened. Because this answer choice does the exact opposite of what is needed, it is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): The need for corporations to develop ties to each other is not the same as the idea of developing communal ties. This answer choice is irrelevant and incorrect.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. If large corporations did not promote the strength of communal ties, the conclusion would be seriously weakened.

Answer choice (E): The economic success of a particular system is irrelevant and does not provide a premise necessary for the conclusion to be true. This answer choice is incorrect.

1. previous capitalism involves competition ---> weaken the ties between people of community

2. It's not the same case now

3. modern capitalism ---> large corps.

So, Modern capitalism promote, rather than weaken communal ties.

I believe the core lies in whether under the condition that large corps involves competition weaken the ties or whether the competition be involved among the large corps is differed from the previous capitalism that it " does not " weaken the ties.

My question is, if the terms of answer C that develop some ties is not the same concept as promotes the communal ties, then how could the terms of answer d that " promotes the strength of communal ties " be the same concept as " promotes the communal ties " ?

Promote the strength of the something should not be equaled to promote of something, isn't it ? Those are different characteristics.

I can promote the effectiveness of implementing the policy, but it does not necessary mean that I promote the policy itself, since I might only be in favor of the positive side of certain policy been implemented, but not the negative sides. Thus, being in favor of the positive side of that policy be implemented does not necessary mean that either I am 100% in favor of that policy or not.

applying the same thinking to option D that Having large corps in a modern capitalism promotes the strength of communal ties, even if we negate it as it does not promote the strength of communal ties does not necessary mean large corp must, therefore, weaken the communal ties, since large corps can just " not promote the strength of it, but still promote it from other aspects. To me, the the scopes are not the same between answer D and original arguments.

Answer C, If the agreement be reached on the rules of " competitions ", corps whom compete with each other " must develop some ties with each other. I understand that the term each other is the other corp; however, would not people working in the those corps also account for people from the communities ? which is to say, if the ties can't be develop as we negate answer c, then wouldn't it successfully overturn the original argument ?

Please help me out on this one. I just hope that I can choose the correct answer; however, the reasoning above is the sole reason why I eliminated the answer D when I decided between C & D.

Thank you for the helps out.
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Tuothekhazar! You have a good knack for looking out for any shifts in language. That instinct is very important on the LSAT, and can allow you to pick up on small word shifts that many people miss (for example, if a stimulus shifts between "many" and "most", that's something very important to pick up on).

However, here it seems like you got a bit too hung up on the shift between "promotes communal ties" (in the stimulus) and "promotes the strength of communal ties" (in the answer choice). In practice, those two phrases mean the exact same thing here. They are both artsy phrases that mean to say capitalism bolsters connections between members of a community. I understand the point of your analogy (about the "effectiveness of a policy"), but it doesn't apply in this context because there is really no difference at all between the two phrases. Just think about it - there's no way to bolster the strength of communal ties without also just bolstering communal ties. So the take-away here is to continue to pay close attention to any shifts in language, but don't let insignificant language differences prevent you from picking a correct answer. Focus on whether the language shift changes the meaning of what's being said. Here it really doesn't.

As for answer choice (C). For Assumption questions, we are looking for an answer choice that must be true if the conclusion is going to make any sense. (C) does not fit that description. Even if corporations that compete against each other don't develop ties to each other, the conclusion that capitalism promotes communal ties can still be true for plenty of other reasons. (For example, perhaps capitalism forces corporations to interact with and listen to the community so as not to lose business. Or to take a more Marxist example, perhaps capitalism enforces cultural hegemony and thereby furthers communal ties through prompting intra-class but not inter-class solidarity). Ties between corporations are not necessary for there to be ties between corporations and the community. Since (C) is not necessary for the argument to function, it is incorrect.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.