LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True—Principle. The correct answer choice is (E)

The art critic offers a sole criterion for evaluating the aesthetic value of a work of art. Any work of art
which stimulates the audience has aesthetic value, and any work which fails to do so has no aesthetic
value. Such a clear demarcation makes the answer choices relatively easy to evaluate. Only answer
choices (B) and (E) discuss the relationship between a work of art and an audience, and (B) contradicts
the critic’s principle. Therefore, (E) is the correct answer.

Answer choice (A): According to the critic, a work of art need not be original to have aesthetic value. If
the painting done 30 years ago and this exact copy both stimulate their audiences, then both paintings
would be aesthetically valuable.

Answer choice (B): Any work of art which does not excite the audience, no matter how well performed,
will not have aesthetic value by this criterion. Furthermore, possessing aesthetic value does not
necessarily render a work of art beautiful. This evaluation of the symphony does not conform to the
principle cited above.

Answer choice (C): Like answer choice (B), this answer choice makes the dubious substitution of
beautiful for aesthetically valuable. Also, the scarcity of the material from which this cube was sculpted
is irrelevant in establishing its aesthetic value.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice may be somewhat appealing because it equates aesthetic value
with controversy, which may be considered a form of stimulation. However, it is incorrect for at least
two reasons. First, the term controversy describes the impact upon society, which may or may not reflect
the impact upon a given audience. Second, the source of controversy is the artist, not the painting. The
painting itself may not be stimulating to anyone. If so, this painting has no aesthetic value.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. This answer choice appropriately demonstrates
the described relationship between aesthetic value and ability to impact an audience. Since the poem
does not impart a stimulating character to the audience’s experience, it is aesthetically deficient.
 vancuuver
|
Hello!

Thanks for this explanation. I didn't have trouble answering the question but I have been trying to diagram this question and the answer choices for some extra practice - mostly because I could see the test writers trying to trip me up on much harder questions with "lies in" and "because" etc.

Am I way off with:

(Impact) -> (Aesthetic Value)
and then the answer choice showing us:
~(Aesthetic Value) -> ~(Impact)

If this is correct then is something like "lies in" indicating the "if" side of the formal logic equation?

Sorry if I'm overcomplicating anything!
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Vancuuver,
This seems more causal than conditional, to me. So if I had to diagram it I would likely do:
Cause: Ability to impart stimulating character to audience's experience
Effect: Aesthetically valuable

The answer removes the effect because the cause was not there (so it also uses causal reasoning).

Hope that helps!
-Malila

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.