LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True—Formal Logic. The correct answer choice is (B)

This question clearly demonstrates the importance of understanding the correct flow of information between the stimulus and the answer choices. On a Must Be True question, like this one, all of the information in the stimulus is presumed true and used to prove one of the answer choices. Any answer choice or prephrased solution which cannot be proven solely by evidence from the stimulus must be incorrect, no matter how well it seems to fit.

The language in the stimulus – “each,” “at least some,” “some…are not” – indicates that this is a Formal Logic question. As with most Formal Logic questions, consider diagramming the stimulus and examining the resultant inferences, as this is often the key to quickly locating the correct answer. The first sentence can be diagrammed as:
  • SC = participated in the town’s annual spring cleanup
    CRC = received a community recognition certificate

..... ..... ..... SC :arrow: CRC
The second sentence would appear as:
  • TAC = active in the town’s artistic circles

..... ..... ..... SC :some: TAC
Because these two sentences share the common term, SC, they can be combined:
  • ..... ..... ..... TAC :some: SC :arrow: CRC, therefore: CRC :some: TAC
The inference that can be drawn is that some people who received a community recognition certificate are not active in the town’s artistic community. This is the exact idea presented in answer choice (B).

Answer choice (A): Does answer choice (A) have to be true based upon the stimulus? No. The inference in the stimulus is that some people who received a community recognition certificate are not active in the town’s artistic community, but this does not imply that some people who received a community recognition certificate are active in the town’s artistic community. This is a common incorrect answer choice when dealing with “some” statements.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. To many test takers, this answer seems almost too obvious to be correct. The stimulus states that everyone at the spring cleanup received a certificate and that some people at the spring cleanup are not active in the artistic circles, then it is evident that some people who received certificates are not active in the town’s artistic circles. Remember, though, that this is a Must Be True question – the answer is supposed to be evident. This is the correct answer, even though it contributes nothing to test takers’ understanding of the stimulus.

Answer choice (C): The stimulus does not infer that only spring cleanup participants received community recognition certificates. Perhaps the arts fair participants received certificates, as well. Furthermore, it is possible that some people participated in both events (even though they were at the same time, it is possible that some people could have left one event early to attend the other).

Answer choice (D): This answer choice can be diagrammed as “CRC :arrow: SC,” which is a Mistaken Reversal of the first sentence. Remember the difference between “Every A is a B” and “Only an A is a B” – specifying that all spring cleanup participants received certificates (the first sentence) is not equivalent to proving that they were the only ones who received such certificates (answer choice (D)).

Answer choice (E): Answer choice (E) is simply beyond the scope of the stimulus. It is entirely possible that every member of this community, including those who are active in the town’s artistic circles, is concerned with the town’s environment. It is equally possibly that everyone in town, including those who participated in the spring cleanup, is only concerned with collecting community recognition certificates.
 jcough346
|
Hi Powerscore, can you walk me through this question and is diagramming necessary?
Thanks
James
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi James,

This is a formal logic-type question, so diagramming may be helpful for you. However, diagramming is never necessary. It is a personal choice when to diagram and when to reason through a problem slowly or employ other methods. If you find that even by reading slowly, a question is confusing for you, consider diagramming as a way to break the reading into more manageable parts and see how the parts fit together. You can also come up with your own plan; for example, you may always diagram when you see that a question involves sufficient and necessary elements.

As far as walking you through the problem, it would be more useful for you to make an attempt at the diagramming or at least explain your thinking about the problem. Then I or another instructor can check your work and make sure your diagram is correct. Here's a hint-- start with

participated in annual spring cleanup :arrow:
 AnnBar
|
Hello,

I wanted to follow up on the above question asking for guidance with the daigraming.

The way I did it was:

participated in cleanup --> received recog certificate
participants of cleanup :some: active in towns artistic circules /

Answer choice B then restated the second statement...?

Thank you,
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ann,

That is the perfect way to diagram. Well done! Some = not all in the answer choice. You got it!
 Sophia123
|
Hi!

I have a question regarding the above conversation - I had the same diagrams, but I am not getting that answer choice B is a restatement of the inference chain. Basically I had:

1. Participated in town cleanup :arrow: community recognition certificate
2. Participated in town cleanup :some: NOT active in town art circles

So these can be linked up to say:
Participated in town cleanup :some: NOT active in town's artistic circles

I agree with the above that Not all = Some, so then answer choice B would read:
Community recognition certificates :some: NOT active in town's art circles.

It seems to me that this is inconsistent with the premises and if it were to be a restatement it would say: "Not all of those who received community recognition certificates are NOT active in town's artistic circles"

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Best,
Sophia
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sophia,

Your diagramming is great!

"Community recognition certificates :some: NOT active in town's art circles" means that not all those who received community recognition certificates are active the the town's art circles.

Your statement "Not all of those who received community recognition certificates are NOT active in town's artistic circles" could be rewritten as "Some of those who received certificates are active in town's artistic circles," which would not be a restatement of the stimulus.

Let's look at an example with shorter sentences.
Some adults are not athletes.
Restatement: Not all adults are athletes.
"Not all adults are not athletes" would be incorrect and wouldn't have the same meaning.

When in doubt, take a step back from the mechanics and check your interpretations based on plain English. That's a good way to avoid confusion.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.