LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (B)

This stimulus addresses the geocentric view once maintained by Orthodox Christianity. One premise of
this view was that “Earth was at the center of the universe” and one of its conclusions was that “Earth
and its inhabitants were important.” The essayist’s premise that Earth is “at the outskirts of a spiral arm
of one of countless galaxies” refutes the geocentric premise. Thus, reasons the essayist, the geocentrists’
conclusion must also be refuted. The flaw in this argument is obvious: just because one reason for
believing something is shown to be false does not necessarily prove that the belief itself is false. Whether
or not Earth and its inhabitants are important depends far more on the definition of important than on the
location of Earth. Answer choice (B) correctly expresses this idea.

Answer choice (A): This is the most commonly chosen incorrect answer. The essayist’s argument is
essentially that if the reason for believing something is bad, then the belief itself is false. This answer
choice says that if the reason for believing something is good, then the belief is true. Answer choice (A)
is actually a Mistaken Negation of the essayist’s argument and is not a flaw in the argument.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Believing something for the wrong reason does
not mean that the belief itself is incorrect. If I believe that the sky is blue because outer space is that
color, my rationale is clearly incorrect. According to the essayist, however, my belief that the sky is blue
would also be false. Since the essayist fails to consider the possibility that Earth and its inhabitants may
still be important even if Earth is not at the center of the universe, this answer choice is correct.

Answer choice (C): This is a confusing answer choice due to the negative wording. For this to be a flaw
in the argument, it must be true that resolving it would strengthen the argument (any time a flaw in an
argument is corrected that argument is strengthened). Would the essayist’s argument be strengthened
if the essayist considered that there can be no reason for disbelieving true statements? No, since the
essayist has already given a reason to disbelieve that the Earth is important (because it is not the center
of the universe), the argument would be unaffected by including the idea that he or she does not need a
reason to hold that belief.

Answer choice (D): The essayist writes, “People once believed…” and “people’s old belief…” This
construction indicates that the argument is dealing with a specific belief that was held during a specific
time. It is not necessary to show that people had different beliefs at different times if the author deals
with beliefs from a specific time.

Answer choice (E): Answer choice (E) is very similar to answer choice (D) and is incorrect for similar
reasons. The essayist has limited the scope of his argument to people who believed Earth and inhabitants
were important because of Earth’s position at the center of the universe. These people may be from one
or several cultures, but the essayist has no obligation to discuss people from cultures which do not fit
the scope of his argument. Limiting the scope of an argument to a specific group or specific time is not a
flaw as long as the argument does not make conclusions about other groups or other times.
 melissa27
|
Can you please explain why B is correct. I was thrown off by the inclusion of "questionable reasons" in the AC since the stimulus never discussed reasons and instead chose A.

Also, for answer choice C, can you explain what the answer is trying to convey.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Melissa,

The "questionable reason" in the stimulus was the opening statement: "People once believed Earth was at the center of the universe." Answer choice B basically says that just because you believed something (that Earth is important) based on false information (believing Earth is the center of the universe) doesn't mean that the original belief must be wrong (Earth can still be important).

Answer choice C is saying that the author's mistake was that he didn't keep in mind that trust statements should always be believed. That may or may not be true, but the author's error was not in questioning a true statement, but rather in failing to consider that a belief can be correct even if you believe it for the wrong reason.

Did that help?

Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT Instructor
 melissa27
|
Thanks, Adam!
 AAron24!
|
Can someone please go over this question? I am having trouble understanding why B is correct.
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
HI Aaron,

Let's imagine a slightly different argument. What if I said that I believe that anything that is red is healthy to eat, therefore apples are healthy to eat. Someone might counter that my underlying belief is false: there are plenty of things that are red that are unhealthy or unsafe to eat, like poison berries. Therefore, my belief that apples are healthy to eat is false.

This is similar to what is happening in the stimulus. A belief about something can still stand on its own as factually true, even if the underlying reasons for it can be debunked. The Earth and its inhabitants could still be important even if they aren't at the center of the universe.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.