LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

The argument presented in this stimulus is as follows: Since there are many instances of bribery among
members of the Wagston staff, and Wagston is a member of the board, the entire board must be corrupt
and should therefore be replaced.

The argument is flawed, because it does not establish that Wagston is corrupt based on the fact that some
members of his staff are, and does not logically establish that the problems in Wagston’s staff extend to
the entire board.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The argument inappropriately attributes the
actions of some members of Wagston’s staff, to the entire board, without giving any logical justification
for this leap.

Answer choice (B): Since the possibility that Wagston’s staff bribed more people is not harmful to the
argument, this choice cannot represent a flaw.

Answer choice (C): There is no need to specify the relationship between two concepts that are related by
definition. Bribery is always a form of corruption, so this choice is wrong.

Answer choice (D): The argument does overgeneralize; however, it does not do so to the point of arguing
that every single staff member is corrupt. Furthermore, the argumentative strategy is to generalize from
Wagston’s staff to the entire board, not just within Wagston’s staff.

Answer choice (E): Since board’s alleged corruption is in fact a substantive issue in the argument, it is
not a flaw to focus on that aspect of character. Furthermore, a character attack involves the use of “bad
character” as an avoidance strategy in which the author sidesteps the actual point, issue, or argument. In
this instance, that is not the case.
 Dianapoo
|
Hi!

I was going back and force between A and C for this question. I don't think it's common sense to say that bribery = corruption??? Especially if the answer choice specifies it as a possibility. Even then I wouldn't have equated them. I suppose I might not have the kind of common sense they want out of me to write this exam? I asked myself if it is possible to bribe without being corrupt, and the answer is yes, although not typically, and definitely not enough to call one a subcategory of the other. I've seen bribery happen lots of times, but wouldn't necessarily call those instances of corruption. I like C for that reason as it didn't specify and makes me doubt the conclusion a little. A makes me doubt it too (maybe a little more than C), but I wouldn't have counted C out of at least being an ok criticism :cry:
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Dianapoo,
Since this is a Flaw question it is part of the first family, so we are using the truth in the argument to prove that an answer is true. In the case of a Flaw question we are saying 'what is the exact flaw that has been used to make the argument?'. In this question it is a 'Part to Whole Flaw', because the argument is saying that because we know a single part of the Board is bad (Wagston's staff is corrupt/engaging in bribery) it automatically means that the entire Board is bad. This type of Flaw is stated in Answer A.
Answer C appears to be describing a flaw related to the 'ambiguous use of a key term'. In this case I don't think you need to determine whether or not bribery is always corrupt (though I would tend to say that it is),the words are synonymous (which means they mean exactly the same or close to the same thing), and as such do not need to clarify the relation between them.
Hope that helps!
-Malila
 Tuothekhazar
|
Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

The argument presented in this stimulus is as follows: Since there are many instances of bribery among
members of the Wagston staff, and Wagston is a member of the board, the entire board must be corrupt
and should therefore be replaced.

The argument is flawed, because it does not establish that Wagston is corrupt based on the fact that some
members of his staff are, and does not logically establish that the problems in Wagston’s staff extend to
the entire board.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The argument inappropriately attributes the
actions of some members of Wagston’s staff, to the entire board, without giving any logical justification
for this leap.

Answer choice (B): Since the possibility that Wagston’s staff bribed more people is not harmful to the
argument, this choice cannot represent a flaw.

Answer choice (C): There is no need to specify the relationship between two concepts that are related by
definition. Bribery is always a form of corruption, so this choice is wrong.

Answer choice (D): The argument does overgeneralize; however, it does not do so to the point of arguing
that every single staff member is corrupt. Furthermore, the argumentative strategy is to generalize from
Wagston’s staff to the entire board, not just within Wagston’s staff.

Answer choice (E): Since board’s alleged corruption is in fact a substantive issue in the argument, it is
not a flaw to focus on that aspect of character. Furthermore, a character attack involves the use of “bad
character” as an avoidance strategy in which the author sidesteps the actual point, issue, or argument. In
this instance, that is not the case.

Apparently, the flaw here to to equate the characteristic of some individuals from the group to it of the group.

If we replace " all of Wagston's staffs " to " all of the board of directors ", is it going to be a good answer ?
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Tuo,

I may be misunderstanding you, and if I am, let me know and I'll try to get at your specific question. First, I'm not sure where you're getting the phrase "all of Wagston's staff" from, because the argument only refers to "many instances of bribery by various persons on the staff of board member Wagston." So, the argument's premise doesn't quite reach to "all" of the members of Wagston's staff.

Regarding your question, I think you're asking whether the argument would be a good one if we made the change you suggest (let me know if that's wrong)? If that's what you're asking, then yes. If the premises of the stimulus explicitly referred to bribery being committed by "all of the members of the board of directors," then it would be valid to conclude that the board is "full" of corruption, and it would be very defensible to conclude that they "should be replaced."

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.