LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

sdb606
|
Adam Tyson wrote:This isn't an argument about completely eliminating all cases of arthritis, but one about reducing the risk,
The stimulus language suggests it very much is about eliminating risk. It says, "if you want to protect your dog from arthritis..." Protect is synonymous with Prevent which means 0% risk of arthritis. I wouldn't buy a rain coat with a label that says, "Will protect you from the rain but expect 20% of the water to seep through the coat." Therefore, if full-grown dogs are getting arthritis, you're not protecting them from arthritis by neutering when they're fully grown because they're getting arthritis anyway.

If "Protect" is about reducing risk, I can see how E is wrong. Is it unreasonable to assume "Protect" means 100% and not just less? Would anyone still agree that something would fit the definition of protection if it reduced risk by 0.01%?

I understand how C is right but still don't see what's wrong with E.
 sdb606
|
Actually, I think I understand now. The author never says that there is only one cause of arthritis. You can still believe that protection means 100% because the author saying that neutering when fully grown completely protects against arthritis caused by neutering early but not necessarily against arthritis caused by other things (bad genes, etc.). Therefore, it's ok if fully-grown dogs get arthritis because it's outside the scope of the argument.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Right! To put it in LSAT logic terms, the author thinks neutering later is necessary to prevent arthritis, but that doesn't mean they believe it is sufficient. You might need a raincoat, but that doesn't mean you don't also need an umbrella to stay completely dry!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.