LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

The columnist notes that although both unsigned letters and certain news sources are anonymous, the
news sources are usually accepted without question. However, because in both cases a person may be
able to make incorrect statements with impunity, the columnist concludes that it makes sense to be
skeptical of anonymous news sources.

Because the author is making a comparison, ask yourself if the two items are in fact comparable.
Is an unsigned letter the same as an anonymous news source? Not really. The columnist confuses
the news story sense of “anonymous,” which is generally a source that a journalist is aware of, but
protects from exposure.

The question stem asks you to identify the method of reasoning, and you should seek an answer that
describes the comparison made by the author.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. A comparison between two like things is an
analogy, so any answer using the word “analogy” would be an initial Contender. Let’s break down
this answer choice and make sure it passes the Fact Test:

..... “pointing out that a certain attitude would presumably be adopted in one situation…”

The “certain attitude” is skepticism, and the “one situation” is skepticism toward an unsigned letter.

..... “…in order to support the claim that a similar attitude would be justifi ed in an analogous
..... ..... situation”

The “similar attitude” is again skepticism, and the “analogous situation” is anonymous news sources.

Thus, each element of the answer does occur, and this does correctly describe the reasoning used by
the author.

Note that the validity of the analogy is irrelevant, because you are not asked to describe the fl aw in
the reasoning.

Answer choice (B): This response may seem attractive because it also references an “analogy.”
However, the answer is wrong for two reasons. Perhaps the easiest fl aw to focus on is the fact that
this choice claims that the “latter attitude is more justifi ed than the former,” but the argument claimed
that the skepticism toward the letter—the former attitude presented—was the more justifi ed. Thus,
this answer has the relationship backward, and that alone is enough to eliminate this choice.

Furthermore, the analogy was between the sources, not the attitudes.

Answer choice (C): This argument involved an analogy between different things that actually occur,
and not a generalization from a hypothetical situation, so this choice is incorrect.

There is also a problem with the phrase “all situations of a given type,” because the “given type”
would refer to anonymous items, yet there has only been a discussion of two types of anonymous
items (and therefore not “all situations”).

Answer choice (D): This response may also seem attractive because it references an “analogy.” But,
the argument does not show that any evidence is “usually false,” only that a person would likely have
some doubts and should be skeptical.

Answer choice (E): The argument does not conclude that the evidence is “likely to be false,” only
that a person would likely have some doubts and should be skeptical.
 eober
|
Hi,

I am not sure if I understand answer choice A correctly. Is it saying that the news stories' anonymous sources are justified? If so, how did we come to this conclusion?

Thank you for any clarification!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
eober wrote:Hi,

I am not sure if I understand answer choice A correctly. Is it saying that the news stories' anonymous sources are justified? If so, how did we come to this conclusion?

Thank you for any clarification!
Hello,

No, it doubts their being justified.

David
 est15
|
When the question states "the columnist's argument proceeds by," does the sequence of events described in the answer choice have to match the sequence of events in the stimulus?

I'm wondering because that was my reason for eliminating B, but I wanted to make sure that my reasoning was correct. Thanks.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi est,

B can be eliminated because the the latter attitude (news sources quoting anonymous sources) is considered LESS justified than the former attitude (being skeptical of unsigned mail).

Hope that helps!
 lsatprobs
|
Hi! I understand why A is correct, but I am having trouble figuring out choice C!

(C) inferring that an attitude would be justified in all situations of a given type on the grounds that this attiude is justified in a hypothetical situation of that type.

Is "if you received an unsigned letter" not a hypothetical situation?

Also, I guess I can see the issue with "justified in all situations" but I just thought that this wasn't a horrible answer choice. I know that A is better, bc the analogy does not mean all situations. However, why can C not support this question.

Thoughts?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatprobs!

To me the clearest reason that answer choice (C) was wrong was the connection between "all situations of a given type" and "a hypothetical situation of that type." The two examples were analogous, but they were not the same situation. They were two separate situations that had some shared features.

As the administrator wrote, receiving an unsigned letter is not a specific hypothetical example of learning about anonymous news sources. You can call the unsigned letter a hypothetical, but it is not a hypothetical example of a type of real situations.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.