LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lilmissunshine
|
Hi Adam,

I thought the stimulus also dealt with "sample error", because the conclusion extended from "nine year olds" to people in general. So in this regard, the flaws are similar right?

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's a fair assessment, lilmiss! Those 9-year-olds are not a good representative sample of people who may have been influenced by their recognition of the logos, just as those dolphins in the study may not be a good representative of dolphins who have been exposed to mercury over time. Good job!
 Tyguy117
|
Hello;

I had an issue with this question as well. I’ve read the answers that have been provided and I understand where everyone is coming from now regarding the error in reasoning.

However; when I first read the stimulus what confused me was the phrase “less than 1 percent smoke” coupled with “recognition of brand logos and smoking.” When I was thinking of flaws in reasoning before reading the answers I was equating the active personal action of smoking (in the example of the first phrase with 9th graders) and the concept of the idea of smoking as an action in general not necessarily the active first person action. So; in my mind I saw a flaw as well there could be a connection between recognition of brand logos and being around others who smoke; or taking it further 9 year olds identifying logos and perhaps their parents smoke…thus having a connection to the action of smoking despite it not being a personal first person action.

I find the wording of this question stimulus to be quite confusing in that regard as the word itself smoke which used in context (Meant first person action) and smoking (which didn’t necessarily have to be first person)….can someone help my mind and reasoning out here?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think there is a pretty strong implication in this stimulus that the reference to "smoking" in the conclusion is to the action of the 9-year-olds, Tyguy117, and not to something more generalized, like whether the kids might recognize the logos because they have observed others around them smoking. We shouldn't reach too far past the clear intent of the author and make these arguments more complicated than they need to be.

But at the end of the day, if you see that as an additional flaw in the reasoning, it won't make any other answer better, and you should still base your answer choice on the best match. Find the answer that indicates a study being used to deny a causal claim, and the study might be flawed in some important regard. Only answer A has that combination of factors, so even if you don't see it as a perfect answer, it is still the best one and so must be the credited response.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.