LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (D)

The stimulus begins with the classic argument introduction device, “Many historians claim…” As
is often the case when this construction is used, the author’s argument is that the historians’ claims
are incorrect. Specifi cally, the reviewer explains that many historians claim to be basically objective,
but that we cannot accept their claims because it is easy to fi nd instances of false, non-objective
historical explanations.

The reviewer’s reasoning is weak, particularly because anyone, not merely historians, can offer
historical explanations, and it might be the historical explanations of non-historians which contain
instances of bias. In addition, the existence of false explanations only proves that some historians are
not objective, and it does not prove that many historians are not objective. The reviewer specifi cally
notes that many historians claim objectivity, and that just indicates that a substantial number claim
objectivity. So, when the reviewer concludes that the claims of these many historians are false, the
reviewer draws an exaggerated conclusion.

Answer choice (A): The stimulus does not take this for granted. The reviewer simply rejects the
claims that the historians made about their objectivity; the reviewer then makes statements about
historical explanations, and does not offer a view about other fi elds.

Answer choice (B): While the evidence does not establish the conclusion, it does not undermine the
conclusion, either. The evidence is consistent with either accepting or denying the conclusion, which
means that the evidence is simply not compelling.

Answer choice (C): This choice is irrelevant because the reviewer does not need to take the
historian’s methodologies into account. Whether historians employ these methods or not, their output
can still be prejudiced. If their output is fl awed, then the reviewer’s premise regarding the existence
of instances of false explanations is not undermined. Consequently, although this is an attractive
answer choice, it does not reveal a fl aw in the reviewer’s reasoning.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. The reviewer argues that instances of false
historical explanations show that the objectivity claims of many historians are false. Thus, since the
explanations are not clearly stated to have come from the historians, the reviewer must assume, or
take for granted, that at least some of the prejudicial works come from those historians who claim to
be objective.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice, along with answer choice (C), was one of the two most
popular incorrect answers. However, like (C), this answer choice misses the mark by addressing an
issue that appears to involve one of the reviewer’s premises, but actually leaves that premise intact
and the argument unscathed.

Just because not all historical explanations embodying ideologies are false does not prove that there
are not instances of false historical explanations that do embody ideological prejudices. Because
the reviewer’s argument is not built on the premise that all historical explanations embodying
ideological prejudices are false (just that some are), this answer does not point out a fl aw in the
reviewer’s argument.
 Kp13
|
Hi,

I am confused about what the flaw in the stimulus is supposed to be and also why answer D) is correct. I chose C).

Thank you,
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Kp13 wrote:Hi,

I am confused about what the flaw in the stimulus is supposed to be and also why answer D) is correct. I chose C).

Thank you,
Dear Kp13:

For one thing: are a) those historians who claim to be objective, always b) producing flawed, prejudiced work? What if, say, there's Ms. Super Historian, who claims to be objective--and really is objective? Conversely, what if all historians producing biased work, are honest enough to admit that they're not objective? So, D deals with the reviewer's possibly-false assumption that there *must* be some biased work written by folks who claim to be objective.
As for C, how do we know that historians are using those compensatory methodologies?
Hope that helps,

David
 Kp13
|
Thanks David! It makes sense now. :-D
 erfrosen
|
Would you mind explaining why answer A is incorrect, please?
 Ricky_Hutchens
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
While the stimulus mentions the natural scientists seeming ability to stay objective, it never explains what the model is, or even discusses it merits. It is simply a detail used to illustrate that some historians claim to be objective. The stimulus doesn't seem to care if the model is the correct one or not, it concludes that historians that claim to use it are not actually doing so. Whether the model is correct is irrelevant to that conclusion.
 mankariousc
|
I originally chose E. I read the explanation for D, but I am still not understanding it. Could you help me with this?

Thanks!
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mankariousc,

The argument in the prompt focuses on whether or not historians are as objective as they claim to be. By contrast, answer choice (E) discusses whether historical explanations (even ones that are presented from a slanted point of view) are correct. Since the argument doesn't address the truth or falsity of historical points of view, we can eliminate answer choice (E) for falling outside the scope of the argument.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck studying!

Athena Dalton
 Desperatenconfused
|
Would an assumption negation test work for this question? As in, if I negate D, I get “no historical work that embodies prejudices is written by historians who purport to be objective” which would weaken the reviewer’s argument.

Whereas E, “all historical explanations embodying ideologies are false” seems to strengthen the reviewer’s argument, therefore D is correct? Please confirm!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Desperatenconfused,

The Assumption Negation technique actually kind of does work on answer choice (D), but that's because of how the answer starts: "takes for granted that..." What any author is taking for granted is their assumption!

The same doesn't work for answer choice (E). The answer starts "fails to recognize...", so what's after that word is supposedly NOT an assumption (or something "taken for granted") by the author.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.