LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Arindom
|
Hi,

Could you explain how ans choice A is correct as opposed to C? This is what I got from diagramming -

Not Mutual Respect (MR)---> Not Trust
Long Lasting relation ---> Trust ----->Mutual respect
Personal relation ---> Natural Affinity (NA)
Personal relation + Long lasting ---> MR and NA

Ans choice A, if this is correct would be diagrammed as Personal Relation + Trust and MR ---> Not be Long lasting

As I wasn't really able to tell if this is correct and if so how, I chose C - why is that incorrect?

Thanks.

- Arindom
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Arindom,

You got the conditional relationships correct, with one exception: personal relationships, such as friendship etc., ADDITIONALLY require natural affinity. So, they still do require trust (and therefore mutual respect), but also require NA:
  • Personal Relationships :arrow: Trust + NA
Answer choice (A) is easily provable if you notice the word "solely." Can friendship be supported only by trust and mutual respect? Nope. It's a personal relationship, and must therefore also be supported by natural affinity.

We don't know if mutual respect and affinity would be sufficient to make a relationship long-lasting: they are necessary, but not sufficient, conditions for the relationship to endure. Thus, answer choice (C) is incorrect.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
 Sophia123
|
Would answer choice c be considered a mistaken reversal of the last conditional relationship?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sophia,

That is exactly correct. A Mistaken Reversal is a situation where sufficient and necessary conditions are switched. Here, mutual respect and affinity are required for an enduring personal relationship. That doesn't mean they are sufficient for one, as answer choice (C) wants to claim.

Robert Carroll
 Sophia123
|
Thank you!
 chian9010
|
Hi,

I have a question about B!

According to the stimulus, Trust -> Mutual respect
Doesn't it mean that Mutual respect is the necessary (presuppose) for trust?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
chian,

That conditional relationship is correct based on the stimulus. But it's not what answer choice (B) says. If we diagram it as a conditional, it says:

mutual respect :arrow: trust

which as you can see is the Mistaken Reversal of what you diagrammed.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.