LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True—PR. The correct answer choice is (D)

This author discusses gifted jazz pianists who have never had the striking musical ideas to create memorable recording sessions, but were able to respond to the ideas of others, adding masterful touches to some of the great jazz recordings. The principle at work here is the fact that what makes one unable in one context might add to ones ability in another.

Answer choice (A): There is no reference to a leader's ability to recognize weakness in others, so this cannot be the principle at work.

Answer choice (B): The word that takes this incorrect answer choice out of contention is "required." While such musicians can make such contributions, there is no implication that such contributions are absolutely necessary.

Answer choice (C): This broad principle is certainly not supported by the stimulus, whose author discusses the general themes of striking ideas and memorable recordings, not forceful personalities and leadership.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice, as it accurately depicts the principle at work in the stimulus: what makes one weak in one setting (the inability to come up with "striking" musical ideas) can contribute to greatness in other settings (as with the masterful touches added to some of the great recordings in jazz).

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is incorrect for much the same reason as incorrect answer choice (B) above. While success can be aided by the help of others, the author does not state or imply that such help is necessary, so this answer choice cannot represent the principle at work in the stimulus.
 Toby
|
Hello!

I'm a bit confused by the meaning of "setting" in answer choice D. I eliminated this answer because I thought that the "setting" of the stimulus remained the same, since I thought the word "setting" referred to "recording sessions." I don't understand how "setting" can be equivalent to lacking imaginative musical ideas. I also don't understand how "setting" can mean being able to respond to other musicians' imaginative ideas. I'd really appreciate some clarification on this term.

Thank you for the help!

Toby
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Toby,

"Setting" is an intentionally abstract term employed in this answer choice. Principle questions will always require you to match up abstract terms such as this to concrete terms in the stimulus or the answer choices.

"Some settings" can describe can describe attempting to lead memorable recording sessions, while "other settings" can describe responding to ideas of imaginative leaders. Similarly, we can understand "A trait" to describe lacking striking musical ideas.

Putting those together, we can apply answer choice (D) to this stimulus, by interpreting it as lacking striking musical ideas can be a weakness in attempting to lead memorable recording sessions, but can also contribute to greatness in responding to ideas of imaginative leaders. Principle questions test your ability to apply broad, abstract language to concrete examples such as this. In some ways, Must Be True Principle questions like this are very similar to Flaw in the Reasoning questions, in that both require you to connect the specific to the general, or the concrete to the abstract.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.