LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen—#%. The correct answer choice is (A)

This question is also a very challenging question, as only about 30% of test takers select the correct answer. The argument in the stimulus is that there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people over the age of 65 in the region in the last 10 years. This conclusion is based on the observation that the average age of people in the region has increased from 52 to 57.

Keep in mind that averages can actually be increased by one of two possible causes: an increase in the number of things above the original average, or a decrease in the number of things below the original average (averages can be lowered by the exact opposite ideas). Here, the author concludes that the average age increase was caused by an increase in the things above the average (more old people), meaning that he/she assumes the other cause—fewer young people—did not occur. Since we are asked to strengthen this causal argument, we need to eliminate the potential alternate cause of the average age increase and show that there are NOT fewer young people in the region now.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. As mentioned above, to strengthen a causal argument with two possible causes, you should look for an answer that eliminates the cause you do not want. By stating that there are now more young people, answer choice (A) eliminates the possible cause of fewer young people, and makes it more likely that the cause we want—more old people—is the reason that the average age has gone up. Put another way: if there are now more young people, we would expect the average age to go down. Since it has still gone up, it seems even more likely that a significant number of old people are now in the region, increasing the overall average age. So the conclusion would be strengthened.

Answer choice (B): This is the most frequently chosen incorrect answer, but it actually weakens the argument. As discussed previously, the alternate (and unwanted) explanation for an increase in the average age in the region would be fewer young people, as fewer young people would cause the average age to rise with or without more old people. So if the birth rate has decreased significantly, that means that there are now fewer young people and the average age would be expected to increase. Since this answer choice provides an alternate cause for the average age increase (i.e. not more old people as the stimulus states, but fewer young people instead), it hurts our argument and is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): There is no way to know if a change in the number of people in the region (positively or negatively) would have any impact on the number of people over the age of 65, so this answer choice cannot be thought to have an effect on the argument.

Answer choice (D): Again, an increase in the number of people in the region cannot be known to have any impact on the number of people over the age of 65, so like answer choice (C), this answer has no effect on the argument.

Answer choice (E): Comparing the average age of the region to that of surrounding regions does not affect our opinion of the possibility that there are now more people over 65 in the region than there were 10 years ago. That is, just because the average age is higher than that of surrounding regions does not mean that the number of people over the age of 65 has increased.
 desmail
|
Hi,

I figured out why (A) is correct, but why is (D) wrong?

If the number of people who moved into the region increased, whether old or young, wouldn't this strengthen the argument? If young people move in, it strengthens like choice (A), and if older people or any other age move in, it would strengthen it also (If more old people, average age could still go up)?

Thank you!
Dana
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Dana,

Thanks for your question!

Answer choice (D) is attractive, but we don't know the age of those who moved in vs. the age of those who moved out. Let's say 1,000 people moved in, and only 80 moved out. The 80 people who moved out are all 65+, and so are 80 of the 1,000 people who moved in. That way, the number of 65+ year olds living in the region wouldn't change. But if the rest of the people who moved in (920) are all between 57 and 65, they could have pushed the average age up. This increase wouldn't be attributable to the number of 65+ year olds living in the region, which would actually weaken the conclusion of the argument.

At the most basic level, since we know neither the age of those moving in, nor the age of those moving out, answer choice (D) would only strengthen the conclusion if we make certain assumptions about the relative age of both groups. Answer choice (A), on the other hand, is a lot more clear-cut: if we have a lot more people under the age of 18 living in the region, and the average age is still higher than it was before, something drastic must have happened (i.e. the number of very old people increased significantly) so that the average age would go up.
 est15
|
I understand why A is correct, but I'm having trouble explaining why D is wrong. I know that D doesn't specify the ages of the people who move in but given that the average increases from 52 to 57 (from the passage) and the total number of people increase (from D), wouldn't the number of older people also have to increase?

These are two sample scenarios I came up with: If the people who moved in were all old, then that supports the conclusion. If the people who moved in were all young then you would expect the average to go down but the passage says that the average goes up so the number of old people would also have to increase.
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi est,

Thanks for the question.

Answer choice A refers simply to the number of people, whereas D refers to people moving in and out. The number of people present however, should be a combination of people coming and going, and people being born, and dying. A includes everything, because it simply refers to the number of people. Because D refers to people moving in and out, it doesn't control for the fact that fewer or more people could be having babies, or dying prematurely. Therefore, D gives us less information in support of the argument.

Hope this helps!
Beth
 cameron_bodell
|
Hey there,

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I have a general question about the explantation of the two things that can make an average go up. If I remember, those two things are: 1) an increase in the number of things above the average, or 2) a decrease in the number of things below the average. Couldn't both occur at the same time and have the same effect of driving up the average? For example, if I have a group of five 10-year-olds and five 30-year-olds, the average age is 20. But if I take away two of the 10 year-olds and add a 30 year-old at the same time, the average still goes up to 23.3333. I increased the number of things above the average AND decreased the number of things below the average simultaneously and the average went up. Am I missing something obvious here?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey cameron_bodell,

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the Forum!

Of course, either (or both) can drive up the averages. We never claimed otherwise :) The author's objective, however, is to strengthen the conclusion that the averages went up because of an increase in the number of people above the original average:
  • ..... Cause ..... ..... ..... Effect

More 65+ year olds :arrow: Average age went up
To strengthen this conclusion, we need to show that the alternative cause did not occur, i.e. that the number of people below the original average did not decrease. This is precisely why answer choice (A) is correct.

Let me know if this clears it up!
 Toby
|
Hello!

I had a difficult time realizing that this stimulus presented a causal argument. Would someone mind helping me understand how I could've know that this was causal?

Thank you!
Toby
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Totally understandable, Toby, because there are no clear causal indicators in the stimulus! The causal relationship here is entirely implicit, not explicit. The premise is the average went up and the conclusion is that there are now more folks above 65 there. This implies that the author believes the average increased because more older people are there, that the increase of older people is what caused the average to increase.

Looked at another way, if this was not a causal claim, what else could it be? Why would the author think that more older people were around just because the average went up?

Sometimes causal and conditional arguments are simply implied, without the use of classic indicator words. Get attuned to the underlying structure along with the indicators, and you'll kick your game up a notch. With practice, you'll get there!
 Toby
|
Thanks for the advice, Adam!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.