LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lolaSur
|
Hi!
This question took me a long time to answer, and I think is because although I diagramed the conditional statements correctly, I did not realize that I needed to connect “loved by someone” and “love anyone.” I also diagramed the contrapositive of every conditional statement which I think made it harder for me to see that I needed to connect the “loved by someone” and “love anyone” together. Do you advice to diagram contrapositives of every conditional phrase?

Kind :arrow: Loved by Someone
Not Loved by Someone :arrow: Not Kind
Loves anyone :arrow: Happy
No Happy :arrow: No Loves anyone
Kind :arrow: Happy
No Happy :arrow:  No Kind

I think that not including the contrapositive would have helped me to see the concepts better.
Kind :arrow: loved by someone
Loves anyone :arrow: Happy
Kind :arrow: Happy

When I don’t write the contrapositives I can see that “kind” and “happy” are terms that appear on the premise and on the conclusion.
“Loved by someone” and “Loves anyone” both appear in the premise. Why is it that I have to connect them if they are both on the premise? I thought I was supposed to connect concepts on the premises to concepts of the conclusion. Also how do we know that the connection is “loved by someone :arrow: Loves anyone?" And that the connection is not the other way "Loves anyone :arrow: loved by someone?"

Thank you so much for your help!

For my reference: L4, justify, 16-20, q19
Last edited by lolaSur on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lolaSur wrote:Do you advice to diagram contrapositives of every conditional phrase?

Hi Lola,

I'm just going to reply to the above part of what you've written, and due to time constraints let someone else handle the rest.

The answer to your question above is a resounding NO. I rarely diagram contrapositives, and have often said that you should eventually just see the CP automatically . At first it's good to write them out so you lock them in, but over time you should do that less and less until eventually it hardly ever happens :)

Thanks!
 Zach Foreman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lola,
You should train yourself so that you automatically do the contrapositives mentally. But in this case, as you say, it is not necessary. At first pass you should get something like this:

K--LBS
LS --> H
---------
K-->H

So, we know our goal, which is to link K to H. We start with K in the first term and end with H in the second term, so it shouldn't be too hard. We just need to connect the two terms. The easiest way would be simply connecting LBS --->LS or to expand "if loved by someone then love someone". That would be my prephrase. It is here that I would mentally do the contrapositive (since this is #23 and SN it is likely to have a CP) which would yield "If you love no one, no one loves you." And that is our answer.
Since we did not need to CP to get closer to our goal, we didn't need to write down the CPs. Hope that helps.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.