LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Pattern game.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 karina_fom
|
Hello,

Could you please explain the best approach to this game. I got 3 questions of 5 right but I am not sure if I understand logic behind this game for 100%. I answered E for #13 and C for #15.

My setup of this game:

W 4 3 4 4
X 2 1 3 1
Y 1 4 1 2
Z 3 2 2 3
--- --- --- ---
J L P T

And then I was trying to circle the best option for employee starting from J.
J - 1, then L - X, then I am not able to give Y for P because it conflicts with J, so options there - Z for P but then it leaves T with its worse choice W.

Thank you!
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hooray, my favorite (recent) LSAT game, the Employees and Offices game.

This game is an example of a "Pattern Game." However, before we discuss the particularities of this and similar games, let me offer a few words of general advice. Most LSAT preparation involves mastering your approach first to linear/order relationships and second to grouping relationships. There are a small minority of LSAT games that do not fit within these rubrics (circular, mapping, pattern, etc.). Should you feel intimidated by such a game? Absolutely not. While they may be unfamiliar, you will find that following the rules and being strategic about your approach to the questions will often make such games not only feasible but in some respects faster and easier than games with which you are more familiar.

Basically, the LSAC is banking on the intimidation factor. You haven't been practicing these games very much (because there aren't that many of them), so you don't know what to do.

To begin, once you establish that this game doesn't fit into one of your common categories, do not spend an excessive amount of time on either setup or deductions.

Instead first note the important information, then proceed first to a global list question, if there is one, then to local questions, and finally to everything else, saving any rule substitutions for last.

I see what you're trying to do with your setup, but you needn't try to turn this game inside out. Just follow the instructions.

J : Y X Z W
L : X Z W Y
P : Y Z X W
T : X Y Z W

the restrictions are like, duh.

so make a couple notes. First, it seems like everyone likes X and Y. Okay, so really, no matter what, it seems like X and Y are going to get chosen earlier in most cases. You could note the two cases in which Y and X could be chosen third (T, then L or J, then P, respectively) or not. No big deal. Also you might notice that no one wants W. Probably gonna be close to last.

That's it. Jump into the questions.

13. Global list. A) J and L both last, doesn't work. B) J third, okay. L first, okay. P last, okay. T second, okay.

Pick B! you're done.

16. P gets W, what CBT? Well, he's last. A doesn't seem to work, move on. B doesn't look promising, move on. C, no way, move on. J get's X, definitely doesn't work. He would get Y if first or L or T would get X before him. L select Z, sure, why not. Answer is E.

Do you see how this works? It kinda sucks, but it's kinda refreshing in a way. You just follow the rules to get to the answer. Don't waste too much time on the setup. Just be smart about the questions. Don't get intimidated, and when you find the answer, pick it and move on.
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello Jonathan

I am not sure I follow your reasoning with the rules. I'm not seeing how you're using the rules to eliminate wrong answer choices. Do you mind explaining what these rules mean.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Srcline,

Thanks for following up!

Let's look at this question by question to illustrate.

Question 13: Global list. Check for mismatches in office popularity.
  1. There's no way Larabee could get Y. It's a popular office and low on his list. That takes care of A.
  2. Go through looking for a violation. First, check X and Y because they're very popular. L gets X, so he's first. T gets Y, so he's second. J gets Z, so he's third. P gets W, so he's fourth. No violations, so B is the answer
Question 14: Global. Must Be True. Take a look around first to see what's in the answer choices. Notice that we have "at most" and "at least." Check to see if there's any answer that seems easier than the others.
  1. This one looks tough to verify. Move on.
  2. This one also looks tough to verify. Move on.
  3. Okay this looks more reasonable. Could it be possible for none of the employees to select her first choice? No, that's impossible. Clearly, someone has to go first. So this must be true. Pick C and move on.
Question 15: Global. Could Be True. Again, take a look around. Try to deal with easier stuff first and harder stuff only if necessary.
  1. This looks like it could be a contender. Two picking their third choices. Let's see. Then, according to the rules, it would have to be W and Z coming in third and fourth (because they're unpopular). Check the rules to see whether this is possible. Well, J could be third and get Z, and L could be fourth and get W (her third choice). This works if T and P are first and second, respectively. So (A) works. Pick it and move on.
I hope this clarifies how we are just following the rules and being strategic. Unfortunately, there is no magic wand, and there is the possibility that one might have to brute force one's way through it. However, usually there is a way to combine a little bit of a preliminary assessment of what's happening in a question with a smart application of the rules to ignore some obviously wrong answers. Then you're just stuck checking one or two answer choices.
 lsatstudier
|
Hi again,

Could someone please clarify what the stimulus is saying in this? It makes sense that this is not a usual game, but I'm having difficulty figuring out what they are even describing from the beginning.

Thank you so much in advance!
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatstudier,

The employees have all ranked the offices they want from first to fourth.
Next, there is a random drawing to determine which employees get to select their offices first. Since we know how they've ranked the offices, we know what they will want to select first.
BUT, if someone selected the office they want before them, they can't get that office. Too bad! Random drawing! Luck of the draw. :-D
The rules also tell us that each employee can only select one office, and they WILL follow their ranking (i.e. Jackson won't pick his last choice office of W if X is still available).

From looking at how the employees ranked the offices, we can see that Y and X are popular (window offices, perhaps?). So we know that at least two employees will not be getting their first choices. So if you like competition, this is going to be fun!

Some schools use this type of lottery for dorms. If you've ever been asked to give a ranking for what you want (dorms, school, classes), this may be the type of system used.
 meercat44
|
I am really stuck on this. Would it be possible for someone to walk through the questions and explain HOW you're eliminating options? I'm not sure how you're coming to conclusions like, "A doesn't seem to work." Why not? I don't really understand how to wrap my head around this one without going through what seem like hundreds of possible outcomes. I think what I'm not understand is how to work backwards - i.e., looking at #16, OK, so I get that Paulson is last, but how do you work backwards from there?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There's no question that this is a very, VERY hard game, meercat44! It certainly doesn't help that the first question doesn't give us any information about the order in which the four employees selected their offices, so we have to "brute force" our way through the answer choices to figure that order out. That's a common characteristic of a lot of pattern games - there's often very few inferences and few or no shortcuts, often very little to even put in a diagram, so you just have to charge into the questions and run every answer through the rules to see how they shake out.

My approach to this game was to first test out a few possible orders for the four employees to select their offices, to see if any patterns emerged. For example, I started by putting them in the order we were given: JLPT. If that is the order, then J will get his first choice, Y. L goes second, and his first choice, X, is still available, so he gets that. Two happy employees each got what they wanted most - hooray! Now it's P's turn, and although his first choice, Y, is gone, his second choice, Z, is still up for grabs. Not bad for P. T goes last, and since every other option has been taken, he is stuck with W, his last choice. Oh well, too bad, so sad. Here's what that might look like visually:

JLPT
YXZW

Now I try another order. I noticed that L is the only one who doesn't put W in last place, so I want to see what happens when he goes last. From the many orders I could choose, I randomly select TPJL, and here's how that shakes out:

TPJL
XYZW

Interesting! L went last, but got his third choice office! I can see now that L will NEVER get his last choice, because even if he goes last, his third choice, W, will always still be available, because nobody else will ever pick it unless there is nothing else left. I expect that inference to help me answer at least one question, because that's how LSAC likes to play!

One more sort-of-random order, as I am starting to realize that there are way too many possible orders to pick from, since there are no restrictions - none! - on who goes when. My math background, such as it is, tells me that there are actually 24 possible orders (4 choices for who goes first, times 3 for who goes second, times 2 for who goes third, times 1 for who goes last = 24 orders). But, I want to try one more, because I noticed that in both my previous two scenarios the first two people to pick each got their first choice. What happens if the first two both want the same office first? I see that with T and L, so I am going to try LTJP:

LTJP
XYZW

L went first and got his first choice, T went second and got his second choice, J went third and got his third choice, and P went last and got his last choice. Very tidy! I see that W got picked last again, and no surprise there - everybody hates it and has it last, except L, who will also get it if he goes last. Could W ever go earlier than last? L would have to pick it, and it would have to be third, with X and Z gone. I can't see any way to make that happen, because both J and P want Y and one of them will surely pick it before L gets a chance to go third. Another inference - W is ALWAYS picked last!

That is a lot of work, to be sure, but in the scope of the section this game would probably be skipped and saved for last, and if the rest of the section is relatively easy (which it is), you should have plenty of time to tackle it, and there really isn't a much better or more efficient way to do it with this one. So, invest the time to get a good feel for the game, try to make an inference or two along the way, and then head into the questions with the expectation that you will be doing a lot of work and testing a lot of answer choices.

I'm going to start another thread for the list question on this game, so I'll send you over there for further discussion:

lsat/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=17225

Give it a try and have fun!
 meercat44
|
Wow, thank you so much - this is really helpful!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.