LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

marshallmg
|
Hello,

I initially chose D) for this question but the reasoning above has helped clarify for me why that is incorrect. I am still a bit confused with C) and I was wondering if someone could explain this for me. I rejected C) based off the phrase "...while also studying from the works of others". For me, the stimulus appeared to be advocating for focusing on Italy exclusively, so this part of C) didn't appear to mirror the logical structure of the stimulus. Thank you!! You're responses are always very helpful for me.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Marshall,

The key term for that part is the term "significant." Significant time doesn't mean exclusive time, and typically is used with an implied comparison. For example, we might say that "Those who want to be doctors should spend significant time studying for their MCATs." We wouldn't use that to mean that's ALL they should do. Similarly here they suggest spending a significant amount of time in Europe in Italy. That doesn't mean exclusively in Italy, but a significant amount of time there while learning about the continent as a whole. Just like one would learn about US literature by starting with Warton, and expanding to others to learn about the literature as a whole.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 Achilles72
|
I eliminated answer C, because it included "...while also studying the works of others."

I understand how Edith in answer choice C parallels to Italy in the stimulus.

But the stimulus gave us "...one needs to acquire a thorough knowledge of at least one country..."
This had me thinking that the answer choice would only require knowledge of one thing, not multiple.

I would have chosen C if it only suggested that the class emphasize Edith (and not also require emphasis on the works of others).

Where did I go wrong here?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Achilles,

Spending significant time in Italy doesn't preclude seeing other countries. Additionally, remember that this is a FIRST trip to Europe. We would expect that to really know Europe, you'd need more than just one country. Maybe that's on multiple trips. Similarly, to learn US literature, you should start with the most accessible (Wharton). I'm not really worried about the "among others" language because there are other countries in Europe too.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.