LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (E)

The flaw in this argument is that a lack of evidence against the notion of ESP (it has not been scientifically proven incorrect/false) is taken to prove that ESP must in fact exist (last sentence).

Answer choice (A): The author is not trying to prove that “everyone lacks a characteristic.” Instead, he/she is trying to show that some people must possess a characteristic (ESP) but it has not been proven false.

Answer choice (B): The author does not state that the lack of evidence against ESP is the only factor relevant to its acceptance.

Answer choice (C): The author is not questioning the conclusions of the research; he/she is using the results to try to make a claim.

Answer choice (D): The argument is not that there is no scientific way to prove ESP, but rather that no scientific disproof equals proof.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. As stated above, the author takes for granted that ESP has not been proven false as proof that it must be true.
 LSATQueen2024
|
Hi
I got this answer correct, but I would like a further explanation why B is wrong.

#help, thank you !
 EmilyOwens
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LSATQueen2024 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:43 pm Hi
I got this answer correct, but I would like a further explanation why B is wrong.

#help, thank you !
Hi LSATQueen (love your username),

The key word in answer choice (B) is only. Nowhere in the stimulus does the author claim this is the ONE factor that is relevant to determining the truth of the argument. There could be many factors, even if the author doesn’t mention them, and, since the author doesn’t clarify that this is the only factor in their reasoning, only is too strong to make answer choice (B) worthwhile.

Strong words like only, always, forever, etc. are “alarm bell” words for the LSAT. Sometimes they are used correctly, but approach them with caution when they appear. :)

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.