LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen—PR. The correct answer choice is (D)

In this stimulus, the advocate alleges hypocrisy on the part of the electric car owner:
  • Premise: ..... You claim that it’s wrong to own a polluting, gas-powered car.

Premise: ..... You have a less polluting electric car.

Premise: ..... You’re a patron of your car’s maker, who makes gas-powered cars as well.

Conclusion: ..... If you are right about objecting to gas-powered cars, then you should not be driving your electric car.
The principle that the advocate asserts is basically this: One should not patronize a company involved in anything that one is against. Since the question requires us to find a principle that will strengthen (or “most justify”) the advocate’s argument, it should be related to this notion.

Answer choice (A): Although it is consistent with the argument in the stimulus, it does this choice does not provide much strength to the author’s conclusion. The author’s point is not that the electric car is wrong despite its lower detriment—the point is that the electric car driver should not be driving a vehicle produced by gas-car makers.

Answer choice (B): The advocate’s argument does not rest on whether the electric car is the least polluting, but on the fact that the car is made by the same organization that makes the more polluting, gas-powered vehicles.

Answer choice (C): The advocate would not likely argue that one should purchase every product with no negative consequences. Additionally, the advocate concedes that the electric car carries some negative consequences (which “pollutes far less”), so this principle would be entirely irrelevant to the argument in the stimulus.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice, restating the principle from our discussion above. If one should not support an organization that takes part in anything one believes to be wrong, then the advocate’s argument is certainly bolstered.

Answer choice (E): This principle has no effect on the advocate’s argument, which is not that the car company makes no environmentally sound products, but rather that it makes some products that are not as environmentally friendly (gas-powered cars).
 flexbubbleboi
|
I'm having trouble understanding why D is a better answer than A.

Both A and D seem to be principles that must be assumed to be true in order for the Advocate's argument to be sound. If you're supporting a company that produces worse products, but by a less worse product, that could seem to be a reasonable choice, unless the principle described in A is taken to be true.

Why is D the "most" justifying answer?
 Poonam Agrawal
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi flexbubbleboi!

The advocate's main conclusion is that the person should not have/own the electric car, not that it is wrong to do so. Under answer choice (A), one can argue - I know that buying this electric car is wrong, but I'm going to do it anyway. So, that person would still end up having/owning the electric car (even if it weighs on their conscience).

Answer choice (D) drives the advocate's point more directly. It says that one should not support the organization if it does anything that one believes to be wrong (making gas-powered cars). Therefore, one cannot make the same argument made above in answer choice (A). As in, I cannot say that I'm going to buy the electric car anyway because if I follow the principle, I should not be supporting this company at all. So answer choice (D) helps justify the advocate's reasoning more directly than answer choice (A).

I hope this helps!
 flexbubbleboi
|
Thank you, Poonam -- yes, it makes sense now!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.