LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

This is a global question and should be answered based on the main diagram. With 6 of 8 being selected, exactly two bowls will always be out. Because of the first rule, one of those two bowls must be either L or M. The second rule means that if P is in, both O and S are in, with P placed directly between them. The contrapositive of that rule would mean that if either O or S is not selected, P also could not be selected, but that would put at least three bowls in the out group instead of just two, making it impossible to select 6 of 8. Therefore, a global inference in this game is that both O and S must be selected (whether P is in or not). This inference gives you the prephrase to answer this question - either O or S would be an acceptable answer.

Answer choice (A): N can be one of the two bowls that is out, so this is incorrect

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. As described above, both O and S must be among the bowls selected.

Answer choice (C): P can be one of the two bowls that is out, so this is incorrect

Answer choice (D): R can be one of the two bowls that is out, so this is incorrect

Answer choice (E): V can be one of the two bowls that is out, so this is incorrect
 lsatstudier
|
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could please explain a shortcut to figuring out who must be displayed. When I attempted this question, I looked at my rules for common variables but did not feel confident in my answer. Any advice for answering these question types?

Thank you!
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatstudier,

Luckily, this question comes later in the game. If it came earlier, I might hang onto it and move on. Here's why: Your biggest shortcut is going to be looking at your previous answers to other questions. For example, just by looking at my answer for Question 6, I know that the display order of Serra, Park, Olivera, Vance, Larsen, and Reigel is an acceptable display order and does not violate any rules. Thus, I can eliminate answer choice (A) of Neiman. I know that Neiman does not have to be displayed because I already found that there is an acceptable display order where Neiman is not displayed. You will have written down display orders for the other questions which will allow you to eliminate other answers.

For me, the next fastest method is to try out the answer choices. You will hopefully have eliminated a couple of answer choices with the above method. Then you can look at the remaining answer choices and try them out! Since the question asks about what MUST be displayed, you should try a display order where the potter in the answer choice is NOT displayed. For example, with answer choice (D) of Reigal, I would write down a display order that does not display Reigal. If I can make an display order that does not violate any rules and does not display Reigal, I know that answer choice incorrect. Often, by doing this process, you discover what variable (potter) must be displayed because you will begin to see inferences.

The third method is to look for inferences in the original scenario and rules. Personally, if I did not see an inference the first time around when I was writing out my rules and diagram, I would not try this method because it could waste valuable time and I still might not find the inference. When you look "too hard" for an inference, it's also very easy to make a mistake. Hope this explanation helps!

If you are ever unsure of your answer, try it out! Write out a display order (or grouping, or whatever the game asks for). Here, if I was unsure of my answer, I'd write out a display order where the potter in the answer choice was not in the display. Try this with the correct answer and see what happens!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.