LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen. The correct answer choice is (C)

Whenever the author begins her argument by stating the position of "many" ("many studies have suggested that..."), you should anticipate that her conclusion will be in direct disagreement with that position. Even though the studies suggest that melatonin induces sleep, the author argues that melatonin is not necessarily helpful in treating insomnia. Why? Because (1) most of the studies examined only people without insomnia (which presumably makes them unrepresentative), and (2) in many of these studies, only a few of the subjects appeared to be significantly affected by the substance.

Generally speaking, if an author uses data from a survey to substantiate her claims, her argument is only as good as the validity and applicability of that survey. For instance, what if every single one of the few subjects who were significantly affected by melatonin also suffered from insomnia? This would be consistent with both of the premises stated above but not with the conclusion. To strengthen the argument, we must therefore look for an answer choice that explicitly states that few, if any, of the subjects affected by melatonin were themselves victims of insomnia. Only then would the conclusion be fully supported by the studies.

Answer choice (A): This is an attractive, but incorrect answer. Even though the study that included insomniacs showed a weaker correlation between taking melatonin and the inducement of sleep, we have no idea whether this weakness is attributable to the insomniacs themselves or to other members of the group. Further, we do not know how many people with insomnia participated and what was the ratio of insomniacs vs. healthy subjects among those who were helped by melatonin.

Let's imagine that both studies include 10 people:

Study #1: participants include 8 healthy subjects and 2 subjects with insomnia

Study #2: participants include 10 healthy subjects

Result: In study #1, the correlation between melatonin and inducement of sleep was 0.3, i.e. 3 out of 10 subjects were helped to fall asleep. In study #2, the correlation was 0.4.

Does that strengthen the argument that melatonin is not helpful in treating insomnia? Not necessarily. It is entirely possible that the 3 subjects in Study #1 who were affected by the use of melatonin included both of the insomniacs along with one healthy subject. The results would therefore be consistent with the hypothesis that melatonin helps both the healthy and those suffering from insomnia.

Answer choice (B): Whether the sample examined is fully representative of the human population is irrelevant to the author's conclusion.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. In our example above, if none of the 3 people affected by the use of melatonin in Study #1 suffers from insomnia, this would provide significant support for the hypothesis that melatonin only helps those not suffering from insomnia and has no effect on those who do.

Answer choice (D): Since this answer does not differentiate between insomniacs and non-insomniacs, it provides no support for the author's conclusion.

Answer choice (E): This statement is consistent with the results of the studies and provides no additional support for the author's conclusion. It is entirely possible that every single person with insomnia who took melatonin was affected by it: if established, this fact would significantly weaken the author's conclusion. This answer choice is incorrect.
 Lawyered
|
Perhaps I had the question backwards... I was thinking we were trying to find a way to prove that Melatonin is effective for inducing sleep, even in the insomniacs. Hence ruling out C... cause if insomniac were not impacted then the drug doesn't work (this was a last minute question for me so I might have ran a little fast through it)...
Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen. The correct answer choice is (C)

Whenever the author begins her argument by stating the position of "many" ("many studies have suggested that..."), you should anticipate that her conclusion will be in direct disagreement with that position. Even though the studies suggest that melatonin induces sleep, the author argues that melatonin is not necessarily helpful in treating insomnia. Why? Because (1) most of the studies examined only people without insomnia (which presumably makes them unrepresentative), and (2) in many of these studies, only a few of the subjects appeared to be significantly affected by the substance.

Generally speaking, if an author uses data from a survey to substantiate her claims, her argument is only as good as the validity and applicability of that survey. For instance, what if every single one of the few subjects who were significantly affected by melatonin also suffered from insomnia? This would be consistent with both of the premises stated above but not with the conclusion. To strengthen the argument, we must therefore look for an answer choice that explicitly states that few, if any, of the subjects affected by melatonin were themselves victims of insomnia. Only then would the conclusion be fully supported by the studies.

Answer choice (A): This is an attractive, but incorrect answer. Even though the study that included insomniacs showed a weaker correlation between taking melatonin and the inducement of sleep, we have no idea whether this weakness is attributable to the insomniacs themselves or to other members of the group. Further, we do not know how many people with insomnia participated and what was the ratio of insomniacs vs. healthy subjects among those who were helped by melatonin.

Let's imagine that both studies include 10 people:

Study #1: participants include 8 healthy subjects and 2 subjects with insomnia

Study #2: participants include 10 healthy subjects

Result: In study #1, the correlation between melatonin and inducement of sleep was 0.3, i.e. 3 out of 10 subjects were helped to fall asleep. In study #2, the correlation was 0.4.

Does that strengthen the argument that melatonin is not helpful in treating insomnia? Not necessarily. It is entirely possible that the 3 subjects in Study #1 who were affected by the use of melatonin included both of the insomniacs along with one healthy subject. The results would therefore be consistent with the hypothesis that melatonin helps both the healthy and those suffering from insomnia.

Answer choice (B): Whether the sample examined is fully representative of the human population is irrelevant to the author's conclusion.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. In our example above, if none of the 3 people affected by the use of melatonin in Study #1 suffers from insomnia, this would provide significant support for the hypothesis that melatonin only helps those not suffering from insomnia and has no effect on those who do.

Answer choice (D): Since this answer does not differentiate between insomniacs and non-insomniacs, it provides no support for the author's conclusion.

Answer choice (E): This statement is consistent with the results of the studies and provides no additional support for the author's conclusion. It is entirely possible that every single person with insomnia who took melatonin was affected by it: if established, this fact would significantly weaken the author's conclusion. This answer choice is incorrect.
 sodomojo
|
Administrator wrote:Answer choice (A): This is an attractive, but incorrect answer. Even though the study that included insomniacs showed a weaker correlation between taking melatonin and the inducement of sleep, we have no idea whether this weakness is attributable to the insomniacs themselves or to other members of the group. Further, we do not know how many people with insomnia participated and what was the ratio of insomniacs vs. healthy subjects among those who were helped by melatonin.
So if (A) instead read, "...inducement of sleep was found in the studies that included only people with insomnia," would that then strengthen?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That is an interesting hypothetical, because it would actually weaken the conclusion! If we were to prove that there was a relatively weak correlation between melatonin and the inducement of sleep in insomniacs, then we would still have some correlation. We would not be able to say how strong the effect is on people with insomnia, but we would prove that it does have some measurable effect on getting them to sleep :-D
 Jlms
|
Hi,

I selected A, which I now recognize was wrong. I was put off by C when I was selecting answers because I thought there might be a difference between "significantly affect" and "helpful." I thought that if Melatonin had a minor effect on the subject, then we could say it was helpful for them even if it didn't have a significant effect. Could you help me understand how I misinterpreted this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jlms!

You're correct that "helpful" is not a very precise term here. But "significantly" is also kind of vague with this usage. It basically just means a noticeable effect. So there's not really a big difference between the ideas of being "helpful for treating insomnia" and having a "significant effect." Because if it's helpful for treating insomnia, you should notice it having some sort of effect on your insomnia. And that's basically all that a significant effect means.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 dandelionsroar
|
When I first saw answer E when I was taking a timed test, I quickly looked at it, noticed it was a conditional, and decided that since the stim did not have conditionals it probably was not the correct answer choice. While I know we should read the entire question if time permits it, is my assumption usually correct? Similar to how we should be wary of parrallel ans choices that have the same subject as the stem, or many and most language?

thanks!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi dandelionsroar! While I'm glad it worked out for you in this case, that is not a safe assumption to make. An argument in a stimulus that does not use conditional reasoning can still be strengthened by a conditional statement. For example, I could re-write the correct answer (C) to be a clear conditional statement: "If anyone was significantly affected by melatonin in the studies, then it was the subjects without insomnia". Even with the way I re-wrote (C), it's still the correct answer! So unfortunately that is not a safe shortcut for eliminating answer choices. If you are running low on time with a Strengthen question, hunt for the answer choices that address gaps in the argument and ignore the ones that don't. Hope that helps!
 2020//Vision
|
Could you clarify how it is consistent with the results of the studies? And how it would weaken the author's conclusion?
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi 2020,

Re: the point about consistency, think about what the studies in the stimulus tell us. First, "[m]ost of the studies examined only people without insomnia." This is consistent with what answer choice E says, because answer choice E is a conditional that is only speaking to what would happen to people with insomnia if melatonin were helpful in treating it. It's not telling us what would happen to people without insomnia, so the existence of these studies examining people without insomnia is consistent.

Second, the stimulus tells us "in many of the studies, only a few of the subjects given melatonin appeared to be significantly affected by it." This could be consistent with answer choice E, if the composition of subjects in the study included for the most part people without insomnia, and only a few subjects with insomnia. So long as all the "insomnia subjects" were significant affected by melatonin, answer choice E would be consistent with the stimulus.

Under the possibility sketched in the previous paragraph, in every case we know of where a person has insomnia and was given melatonin, that person would appear to have been significantly affected by melatonin. This undermines the conclusion that suggests melatonin is not helpful (not a causal factor) in treating insomnia. It's allowing the possibility that melatonin is causally helpful in treating insomnia.

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.