LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jonwg5121
|
Can you please explain how to approach #19? I chose (A) but thought (C) was a convincing answer as well.

I understood the argument to be causal.
Cause: Dinos eat angiosperm
Effect: Dinos die in unusual contorted position.

I was initially hesitant with (A) because it had the word "many" in it, so I started to eliminate the other answers until I was left with (A) and (C). To me, I thought (A) would be the effect occurring without the cause. I also thought (C) would be viable because that meant carnivorous dinos did not die in contorted positions.

Thanks.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jon,

That's an interesting question. With regard to the correct answer choice, your analysis is accurate. As for answer choice (C), that one provides a means for the carnivores to access the angiosperms without having to eat vegetation directly. This would allow for the plants to affect both herbivores and carnivores, directly and indirectly, respectively. Since the theory is intended to explain the extinction of all dinosaurs, this choice would actually strengthen the argument.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 LSAT2018
|
I felt that answers (A) and (E) both weakened the argument because they mentioned the mammals that were not extinct (no effect for the cause).

Is (A) a better choice because of the 'contorted portions' (strongest support) part? Can I get an explanation for the causal argument?
 wrjackson1
|
Hi, someone might need to check this, but here was my thinking.

Like you said, "strongest support" definitely caught my attention. The assumption is that dinosaurs were like this because they ate the plant, so if mammals are like this, too, it undermines that the dinosaurs were eating the plants. I thought E was incorrect mainly because of the strength of wording. The argument is talking about the extinction of dinosaurs as a direct result of angiosperms. It states that mammals "sometimes" die of drug overdose. If large mammals were dying left and right from drug overdose, this undermines the fact that dinosaurs died from it. However, only a few mammals dying isn't really enough support.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi WRJackson,

Answer choice (E) would actually strengthen the argument, by giving evidence that even mammals-with their aversion to the bitter taste of angiosperms and their liver able to detoxify poisons that slip through despite the bitter taste--are killed by these poisons, and dinosaurs were even more susceptible. Instead, answer choice (A) hurts the argument by directly attacking the premise that "most strongly supports" the theory, thus making it less likely that angiosperms were the cause of the dinosaurs' sudden extinction.

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.