LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

DanCorbin51986
|
I ended up choosing B over D and I think I was tricked by the word "disappointed" which was also used in the stimulus. I think the wording for B and D are very close, why is D more correct?

A and E were not relevant and C stating obesity was incorrect.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Dan,

The difference between answer choices (B) and (D) is that (B) reflects a much broader use of the word "disappointed," to the point where we don't know what the consumers would be disappointed by. It could be the flavor, the texture, the nutritional value--personally, if I heard that a food was disappointing, I would assume it meant flavor. But the stimulus very clearly uses to disappointed to refer to consumer's reaction to the likely weight-loss effect of eating the food, not the flavor or anything else. (D) reflects this focus on the inability of these foods to help weight-loss, which is much closer to the meaning of the conclusion than a much broader, more general "disappointment" is.

Hope this clears things up!
 oli_oops
|
Hello,

Can someone please explain why A is incorrect?
Looking back, I get that D is correct because D expresses the same idea in the stimulus "Consumers who expect the new fat substitute to help them lose weight are likely to be disappointed".

However, I thought answer choice A is indicated by the last sentence of the stimulus "......tend to take in at least as many additional calories as are saved by eating 'fake fat'", because A stated the idea that the amount of calories intake seems to be fixed, no matter if they eat "fake fat" or not. Hence, if they do eat "fake fat", they're gonna make up that "lost" calories by eating more additional calories.

I don't know if I made sense or confused people more....

Thank you!!
oli
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi oli_oops,
I think what may have tripped you up a little was the part where you said, "no matter if they eat "fake fat" or not", but the argument is saying that the "fake fat" is definitely there, and the people who are eating it may or may not know that it is there. So if that is the case, and it appears that it is the "fake fat" that is making people increase their caloric intake, then they probably would not end up losing weight.
So Answer A is not supported by the argument because it is too broad, we only know about what happens when people eat "fake fat" so "no matter what foods they eat" is unsupported by the argument.
Hope that helps,
-Malila

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.